AAF files with multiple sample rates

Does anyone have a work around for importing AAF files containing audio with different sample rates? Trying to convert the audio after importing just stuffs up all the edits and sync etc. Yes I could ask the editor to fix this but all I get is ‘it works fine in pro tools’ and I hate having to make excuses.

Dave

It’s sad, that Nuendo converts audio-files into the right sample rate, but not AAF Files.

Hi Dave,

Same problem here. Yesterday I received an AAF from FCP-X, containing 44.1, 48 and 96kHz files. You are correct: converting the files screwed with the timing, which meant I had to check the whole show, clip by clip. It took me hours to straighten it out. What a nightmare!

Please address this issue, Steinberg.

Best regards,

Marty.

• 1 here.
    That really is an issue that needs to be tackled.

Same here. When possible I educate the video editor on forcing all clips to project sample rate when they start a project. It’s amazing that a video editing program can mix sample rates and Nuendo can’t!

Weeeeeelllll, I must add, when I was starting out as a rookie editor, some 17 years ago, we were taught about the joys of sample rate conversion and that you never, ever, EVER submit production sound with anything but fs=48 kHz.
I know I’m sounding like an old fart now, but that has slipped in recent years, as the technical skills of SOME newer colleagues leave somewhat to be desired, let’s say…

Nonetheless, Nuendo should be able to convert the sample rate in AAFs, especially since it does it without issue when importing single audio clips.

With FCP X this is a consistent issue for me. I deal with it by processing the AAF through Pro Tools, which converts everything to to the session rate. I open the AAF in PT, then re-export it, ideally as a linked AAF. I shouldn’t have to do this, but it’s an easy step if you have PT.

What if you import the AAF like it is, and convert the “wrong” files in the pool to the correct sample rate.
That should work, no!?

Fredo

And for the record. (And for the sake of sounding like an old fart)
The specification of the AAF protocol does not allow mixed sample rates.

AAF ASSOCIATION SPECIFICATION
Advanced Authoring Format (AAF)
Edit Protocol

(-)
7.3 Audio edit rate and sample rate
All audio tracks within a file shall have the same edit rate and sample rate.
(-)

Where the feature set of an exporting application supports program metadata that the Edit Protocol
specifically disallows (e.g. a program consisting of different audio sample rates which is disallowed in
Section 7.3), the application shall not export that metadata to an Edit Protocol AAF file. The omission of
any metadata on export in order to comply with the Edit Protocol should be logged.

Fredo

Hi Fredo,

That’s what I’ve been doing, but then the audio shifts inside the clips, leaving me with horrible music cuts that I have to manually adjust.

By the way, do you know of a way to sort the files in the pool according to sample rate? That would be really helpful. I can’t seem to be able to.

Marty.

Hi Marty,

Did you select “replace files”?
Seems to work for me here …

Sorting the info column seems to work for me, except that the first and last file stay “glued”.
But everything inbetween seems to sort fine.

Fredo

“My” info column sorts according to file length, not sample rate.

Marty.

Yep, said all that to the editor and got ‘but it works in Pro Tools’, unfortunately its not about who’s wrong or right but just whatever works

So the only workaround is to open it in pro tools or spend hours fixing all the edits that involve the converted audio? This needs a fix asap.

Dave

Dave

Have you tried my solution?
And there is always AA Translator …
http://www.aatranslator.com.au/

Fredo

Yep. I have gotten the same comment. Again, with PT being the industry standard Nuendo just needs to adopt some of the same functionality.

I have opened tracks with offensive audio in a separate 44.1 project, tweaked edits on that audio, bounced and then imported into my 48k project. At least that way I don’t have to rely on PT to get it done. But yea, I would certainly prefer a simple sample rate conversion on import.

Hi Fredo,

Converting and replacing the files does work, but the timing and the edits go out of whack. You don’t have that problem? Or are you just converting some random 44.1 files? Try a project with music edits. After the conversion the clips are off by a varying amount of frames.

By the way, I tried AATranslator, but it won’t open the AAF. I emailed them about it.

Marty.

Yeah, it indeed screws up edits like you say.
It is indeed a PITA. I absolutely hate it when someone decides that standards and protocols can be broken for their own convenience. Probably why AA Translator is having a problem with it too.

Fredo

FCP X is a PITA. Period. Too bad so many people use it. Give me an AVID AAF any day of the week…

The AAFs I am having a problem with are from Avid…

Well, then the editor should have no problem exporting it again at 48kHz. Yes I know, it works in PT…