AAF import from DaVinci Resolve to Nuendo 11?

Thanks for this info Fredo!

super interesting. Iā€™m just receiving some AAF from davinci and have some sync issues.
Fredo you say 18 frames handleā€¦ I asked the editor 250. 18 is for a reason or you put this here randomly ?
Alsoā€¦ isnā€™t there a way to keep original files name rather then having the AAF creating crazy numbers ? Because Anyway I will get all the drives from the sound field recorders so I was hoping to do something like :
export AAF with reference to original files (and names!) and import AAF by pointing to this folderā€¦ would this work ? or you have to convert to MXF ?

We have created our delivery specs according specs from collegue-studioā€™s. So I donā€™t have a clue why this is in there. I suspect Erik Guldager or Pal Svennevig will know more.

Fredo

I couldnā€™t say why someone would choose 18 frames. Itā€™s to little.
We always export with full length media (not just handles) as that gives more flexibility and seems to work better for us when delivered from Media Composer. So I donā€™t ā€œuseā€ handles at all.

Could it be just an error? Like a dropped ā€œ0ā€? 180 frames at 30/s would be 6 second handles, which is more reasonable.

For the record.
I have client (Who uses Da Vinci) from which I always recieved properly working AAFā€™s/MXFā€™s.
The exports I recieved today are a complete mess with lots of missing and incomplete files.
Apparently a Resolve Update has messed up the AAF/MXF export.
We will investigate next week.

Fredo

2 Likes

I finally got my video editor to send AAF from Resolve that is working.
She removes all fades, gains, snaped all audio cuts to frames, made sure all audio content was 48.
She use the AAF export (not Protools). For some reason audio 1 audio 2 tracks (out of 27) were still randomly out of phase here and there (camera mix) but i will not use them anyway.
very stressful time consuming nightmare.

1 Like

How do you do that in Resolve? I didnt find a way to export aaf with full length audio in Resolve?
Thanks
Oswald

Not using resolve, sorry, we are almost exclusively Media Composer.

DEACTIVATE the ā€œUse unique File nameā€ button. Solved all my problems. Of course you have to do the other steps, like removing muted clips/effects/transitions etc.
Greetz
Till

1 Like

In case it might help anybody: I was sent an AAF exported from a FCP project so that I could work on the post production audio in my preferred program, Nuendo 12. I tried importing the AAF into Nuendo and it basically went all over the place. Unusable. I was aware that the original files had the various edits, fades, etc still intact, and also that they were not all with the same bit rate, so I wasnā€™t really surprised that it didnā€™t work. HOWEVER, I then decided to import the same AAF file into Da Vinci Resolve 18 (no problem, imported as a timeline) and then re-export it from there as an AAF file (using Avid AAF). Following suggestions on this forum, I did make sure to de-activate the ā€˜use unique File nameā€™ button in Resolve; and I exported only the audio, not the video (which I added later). The resulting AAF file (29 GB) I then imported into a new Nuendo 12 project and I experienced no problems. Itā€™s in synch, the original faders etc are in place - ready to go.

In other words, I didnā€™t have to go through all the loops of removing fades, gains, audio cuts to frames, etc.

Hope this is of use to someone. :slight_smile: Iā€™m on a Silicon Mac, by the way.

3 Likes

Interseting solution, did the metadata from the set sound in the edit also survive the double AAF export to N12?

Hi klfnk!
Yes, it appears that at least the basic metadata (fades, etc) survived the double exports.

Resolve needs to have the audio aligned to frame boundaries in order for it to function properly. ā€œAlign audio edits to frame boundariesā€ is a choice in the preferences, and can also be implemented through a menu in Fairlight. If you donā€™t use this, the AAF will usually fail, at least on large projects like documentaries. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the clip gain that was used in Resolve translated as clip gain in Nuendo, and not automation. I just did 2 one hour docs with sound design started in Fairlight during the edit for approval purposes, and it was a seamless import in Nuendo.

That is desturbing news.
Which makes the use of assembling audio from an EDL through EdiLoad, Matchbox or others a necessity.

Fredo

1 Like

The alignment actually works very well. It does not move the placement of the audio, it just makes sure that the region start times are at a frame boundary, so when you export, the audio placement inside the region has not changed. The timings you set are not changed, just the boundary of the region. I have not yet had anything that I slipped inside a frame be affected by this. I have only used the AAF export, I have not assembled audio through an EDL.

1 Like