Ability to import .m4a files

A very common file that we need to be able to import into Cubase. I get these all of the time from songwriters and clients as reference tracks (sometimes even actual tracks…yikes) and can’t import them directly into Cubase.

8 Likes

Hi, has the problem been solved?

Honestly. Why can’t we do this? It slows everything down when I need to decode these files manually. Seems like the decoder should be available to the app, no?

1 Like

Posted this link to wrong thread so deleted here.

It doesn’t even take a long time to code. Wouldn’t be more than an hour of work from a good developer. I made my own software for doing this, but it only exists outside of cubase for now.

Hi! The SpectraLayers version included in Cubase 11 Pro can read m4a and many more formats. So I open it in standalone mode, open the file and export to a format Cubase can read. But they still need to let us import the file directly. This situation doesn’t make sense.

It’s a small annoyance to have to convert .m4a files, but it IS an annoyance-can it be that hard to implement?

+1 and voted.

Yeah…I have to edit webinars from Zoom…the recordings turn up in .m4a format.
I have to convert in Adobe Audition… annoying.

2 Likes

this is super annoying. Basically, every default recording app on phones is creating m4a files, so whenever I am working on some demoes or ideas I have to convert it. Steinberg pls

Steinberg should simply add this necessary codec. We all getting m4a demo clips from our costumers all the time so it should be included. It is an audio program, it should include all known sound formats…
There is not 100 formats like in video world, this few should be covered.

1 Like

Hi i bought cubase 12 but Does not support m4a format! I want this problem to be solved with update. Everyone is complaining about this problem. Help please!

2 Likes

This is potentially a dealbreaker for me. It was already frustrating having the lack of video format compatibility from my iPhone. This is a must have feature.

2 Likes

I see you allow us to use m4a in wave lab but the technological advances of today couldn’t put it in Cubase!? Do we really have to go to wavelab to convert before we can go into Cubase? Half my clients have iPhones so half the time I’m dealing with this issue in every session.

2 Likes

This is a must!

1 Like

Come on Steinberg… v poor that this basic feature is missing (edit: STILL missing)

I just got Cubasis to run on Android tablet for travelling.
Guess what…Cubasis can use .m4a files !?

Wavelab can use .m4a files…

I would vote for this, but I’m out of votes. Really Steinberg? Sometimes I wonder what’s going on over there. Who is making these decisions? Their WaveCast software, a podcast focused tool doens’t open the files that Zoom makes: really?