Ability to lock MixConsole configurations

HAHAHA! :joy: Ameeeeen!

Adding more entries in the key commands window will be more than enough (for me, at least). This is because the tracks can be easily removed from different configurations using macros (just saying :sunglasses:).

EDIT 1:
Actually, it wouldnā€™t be more than enough. Ability to lock MixConsole configurations is indeed a must have, because when you re-enable a track, it will be as if you were adding a new track. So, if that track is already part of a configuration (from the first 8 configurations), after running the ā€œremove-selected-tracks from all-configurationsā€ macro, you would have to add it again [to that specific configuration]. Because of this, creating a template project becomes a little bit pointless.

EDIT 2:
Actually, it would be (more than enough). Hereā€™s why:
If the tracks are removed from the first 8 visibility configurations (when running the ā€œhide-selected-tracks-from-first-eight-confsā€ macro), itā€™s good to note that the tracks will remain selected even though you donā€™t see them in the currently active visibility configuration. So, adding back the tracks to the configurations that should be locked is easy:

1. Select the tracks;
  2. Run the macro (that hides them from the first eight configurations);
  3. Go to the visibility configuration that shouldnā€™t have been changed;
  4. Add back the track by applying this PLE preset:
  5. (step added later) Update visibility configuration

EDIT3:
Actually it wouldnā€™t be more than enough, since the above workaround works only in the Project Window (so the process of adding the channels back to configurations canā€™t be automated to an acceptable degree).
Wouldā€™ve worked if there were a ā€œChannel Operationā€ action target here:

1 Like

+1! Lock MixConsole is my most requested feature as well.

I work a lot with Track Archives, and it very annoying hide the added tracks from the 9 configurations.

Macro suggested by alin89c is nice, but doensā€™t solve my problem, since most of my track archives are tracks instruments with multiple audio outputs. And those ouputs are not hidden because they are not selected by default when they are activated.

1 Like

It seems that the ability to lock MixConsole configurations has not been implemented in Cubase 12, but, my macro suggestion still remains on the table as a viable solution (because it also works with new VSTi outputs).

In order to successfully simulate MixConsole/Project Window configurations lock, do the following.

Settings and macro creation
---------------------------[ā€”]

1 ) Make sure this option (Sync Selection in Project Window and MixConsole) is checked.

(option location)

2 ) Create a macro named hs_tcoo_favc (and assign a keyboard shortcut to it).
hs_tcoo_favc = hide selected track, channel or output from all visibility configurations

(commands to populate the macro)

3 ) Create a second macro named uau_vc (and assign a keyboard shortcut to it).
uau_vs = undo and update vissibility configuration

(commands to populate this second macro)

How to use the two macros
---------------------------[ā€”]
ā†’ After adding a new track (or a new VSTi output), select it and run the first macro (hs_too_favc) to hide that track/output from the first 8 vissibility configurations.

ā†’ After all of the first 8 configurations have been brought to the initial state (the state before adding the track/output), you can go to the configuration where you need the selected track to reside, then execute the second macro (uau_vs).

Hope this helpsā€¦

4 Likes

Thank you alin89c! So useful, hopefully 12.5 we will get this featureā€¦ still waiting. Hope youā€™re doing well!

1 Like

Yeah just piling on to say how important this feature is to me. I use a disabled template and every time I enable a track it gets added to my configurations.

Which meansā€¦I canā€™t use mix configurations. Theyā€™re just cluttered useless messes.

3 Likes

The process Iā€™ve described (process/method to simulate configurations lock) could be further simplified. Hereā€™s how:

Instead of creating just one macro named uau_vc, it would be better to create eight uau_vc macros (one for each visibility configuration). This will also help the user quickly assign new tracks to one of the eight visibility configurations.

-------
uau_vc1
uau_vc2
uau_vc3
uau_vc4
uau_vc5
uau_vc6
uau_vc7
uau_vc8
-------

Each macro should look like this:

This being said, the new method for mantaining the appearence that the MixConsole configurations stay locked is as follows:

1 ) Add track (or VSTi output) and make sure it is selected.
2 ) Open MixConsole and run the first macro ( hs_tcoo_favc). This step will hide the selected track(s) from the first 8 visibility configurations.
3 ) Run one of the eight uau_vs macros.
For example, if you want the new track to be part of visibility configuration 8, run the macro named uau_vs8.

Thatā€™s it!

1 Like

I appreciate you taking the time to think through these macros but they require more brain space then I should have to dedicate to a feature that seems soā€¦.fundamental?

Anyways Iā€™ll definitely look into implementing your first macro at the very least, so thank you!

1 Like

I believe this behavior (of the visibility configurations) is not as easy to change as we, users, might think. Maybe itā€™s tied to other functions that would have to be changed tooā€¦

If something else comes to my mind, Iā€™ll share it hereā€¦ I think the new scripting feature in Cubase 12 (javascript) can be of help.

1 Like

ā€¦it would be great to have this function implemented at some point.

1 Like

+1 feature!

2 Likes

+1 for the feature here as well - but must say, thanks @ alin89c! Your macro works a treat for this problem, I have been using it all day. Cheers man.

1 Like

Does anyone know if Steinberg added this feature to Cubase 13?

I would like to know this too.