About condensing problems

Hello to all,
I have not found in the exchanges (or I have not looked hard enough) a solution to the problem I am experiencing.
When I use the condensed mode, I cannot select anything in the staff where two instruments appear, for example.
In the excerpt I have attached, I would like to be able to move the rests that are superimposed on the notes.
In addition, I can’t separate the barlines by group or only when there is music in them (impossible to select rests … problem n°1)
Any advice to get me out of this?
Good day to all
L

In Engrave mode, you can select such objects.
As for bracketing /grouping staves together, the tool is also in Engrave mode, so you can select objects from the staves you want to group and use the tools on the left panel (when in Graphic sub-mode).

Hi Marc
yes I forgot to mention it in my post, that’s exactly what I tried to do (use the engraving mode with the tools on the left panel) but nothing works; I can’t select anything in a part that has two instruments.

I agree: I cannot choose implicit rests in condensed parts in Engrave mode.

1 Like

I note that with standard beaming the rests do not collide. It’s beaming to the rests that’s causing it. Too many competing factors.

But why condense this in the first place? Condensing staves is a lot more effective and appropriate with simpler, common-practice period music. I think in this example it makes the music harder to read more than it saves space.

I tried setting the bracketing and barline connections with condensing off, and then turning it back on. That worked for the bracketing but not the barlines. So I don’t know the answer there.

Thanks Mark
I agree that it is better not to condense the parts, but in this case I am working on a score with a very large number of musicians which forces me to condense the parts. Moreover I could eventually choose not to condense the parts where the music is complicated but at this point everyone has complicated things to read anyway.
And I find (as a conductor) that it is better to have several voices on the same staff and thus have a score with wider staves.
This is only my opinion … but I share it :smile:

Good evening,
I don’t know if this is happening to you, but condensing no longer allows me to make changes in engraving mode.
In addition to what I’ve already mentioned, I can’t move text (I’ve inserted system texts which are titles that run throughout the piece. I don’t want to make blocks so as not to “cut” the music) as well as the location of the tempo indications.
The hardest thing about condensed mode is that everything becomes extremely slow to the point where I can’t really work.
It’s too bad because the software is really good but I’ll have to go back to Sibelius because I can’t spend that much time doing my scores.
I’ll be back :wink:

You should be able to nudge items on condensed staves in Engrave mode, though of course it can be pretty slow. Can you attach a cut-down example extracted from your project that demonstrates the problem you are experiencing with items that cannot be nudged?

Hello Daniel
Thank you for your reply.
I’ll tell you what I can’t do in the extract I’m sending you:

• Clar in b 3rd bar of D. I manage to move the piano shown above below using the properties, but I can’t manage to hide the silence of the 2nd clar which doesn’t play anyway.
  • at bar 83 I would like to show the silence of the second beat below the staff but I cannot select it.
    The same goes for 84 and the flute, where I would like to lower the silence in the second part of the first beat.
    Generally speaking, as soon as the staves are condensed, i.e. there are several voices on the same staff, I cannot select the rests, whereas I can do so when there is only one instrument.
    I also have a problem with the barlines; I would like them not to cross the staves between the trp and the Horn. I manage to do this but only by selecting places where there is music, and at times these instrumentalists do not play.
  • at D the tempo I is impossible to move although I manage to select it.

I have not found a function that automatically adjusts the distance between staves. Sometimes, I have a very important gap between two lines when there is no particular musical indication that would impose this gap.

Sorry if I’m a bit long. :sweat_smile:
I would like to congratulate you (while I have you live) for your work and that of the Dorico team. There are a ton of features that are really well thought out, I’m a fan!

Even though separating the Horns from the rest of the Brass is considered non-standard, you can do so by creating a Group and putting the Horns in the group.

Thank’s Derrek
I agree that the horns in a standard notation as to be associated with the rest of the brass section, but I think that it easier to read a score with the all bracket at the beginning of the line, and inside the big sections (Woodwinds, strings …) have the detail of the instruments.
About your suggestion, I think that could be the solution, but I don’t want to have this group mentioned on the score.

Hi Daniel
I also have the problem in write mode ; it’s impossible to change anything on a save with two instruments.
L

If condensing is switched on, you need to go to galley view to make your changes. This is well-documented.

Layout Options > Staves and Systems > Staff Labels untick Show player group names

Hi folks
I have to confess that I’m new to Dorico and I still don’t understand a lot of things.
However Janus, going into parade mode is really not practical since the principle of engraving mode is precisely to shape the score as it will be printed.
Ok Craig, thank’s for the tip.

I was specifically responding to this…

Of course, but it’s not very easy to have to switch between the two modes all the time.