About to try Vienna Ensemble Pro

Has anyone used this and can it work with VST System Link?

I’ve never used Vienna Ensemble Pro myself. Not sure what you specifically have in mind, or are trying to accomplish with using Vienna Ensemble Pro & VST System Link together…? It does sound interesting.

I’d think you could use them simultaneously, since VEP runs on an Ethernet connection, and VSL runs on digital audio connections, which all I/O’s should be available.

I don’t see the point of investing and using both myself, unless you’re just curious and want to experiment…in that case, you could use an older or freebee version of Cubase on the 2nd machine for an inexpensive way to get/use VSL, rather than expensive full Cubase versions.

I have been using VEP for years - works great, and no issues.

But I do not use it with SL. I use it over Ethernet.

Let me know if you have any Qs.

Cheers.

Hi Jeff,

I want to use it to build a Server Farm of desktop PC’s and/or laptops but without having to have an audio interface for each machine.

For example, with the 3 licenses included, could I run Cubase on one, UAD on another and say an old PowerCore on a 3rd system?

Hmm - not sure. When you mad mention of VST-SL, I assumed you wanted to do this with VSTs and MIDI - which is where my experience lies. I don’t have any experience using VEP with hw.

I can tell you that VEP does indeed offer audio options; the whole purpose of VEP is to host MIDI and audio over LAN, w/o the need for extra audio and MIDI interfaces. I am sure what you want to do is possible. Best thing to do is ask over on the VSL forum:

Cheers.

I had assumed he wanted to use both as for what they were developed, and run them simultaneously … VEP via Ethernet, VSL via digital audio.

To use VSL in the 1st place, you need to have Cubase or Nuendo installed on each computer. For Cubase, VSL began with the last version of VST 5/32 (but only one way) and full VSL available on versions after that. With a version of Cubase/Nuendo on another computer it’s a full DAW, therefore can have UAD’s, VSTi’s etc, etc, or anything you want that’s compatible with the computers hardware, OS etc.

With VSL, you have sample accurate sync of all your machines, with that and the fact that they’re full DAW machines (with certain features depending on which Cubase/Nuendo version) you don’t even have to send midi between one machine to another…the midi can be recorded directly into the DAW that you’re running whatever VSTi on, any FX’s etc can be ran locally there too.
The above also applies to methods of syncing machines with Non-Steinberg/VSL products, such as using say a Motu Digital Timepiece (MTP)…sample accurate sync, no need to send midi etc, but with something like a Motu MTP you’re not stuck with using Cubase/Nuendo as your DAW…or at least allows you to use other DAW software on another machine.

Now if Vienna Ensemble Pro, can also function as DAW software itself, such as… hosting VSTi’s, FX’s, provide it’s own midi tracks etc, that would be great, as it could then facilitate all of the above as well. From what I’ve read, I don’t believe this is the case :question: Therefore, I would choose using a DAW program on extra machines over using VEP. Besides, if you already have Cubase/Nuendo on the machines, just to use VSL, you won’t even need VEP.

Yeah.
You want to use VEP not VST Link.

VST Link was a way to run 2 versions of Cubase on 2 computers with Sample accurate sync.

If I remember correctly it used 1 digital audio connection each way - but only for DATA, not for Audio. You still had to have 2 interfaces - I think.

VEP5 runs as a separate application on the second (or more) computers.
It can load any VSTi that is installed on that computer.
It uses your network to receive MIDI (and other) data and send the audio back to Cubase.
No second audio interface used.

So . . .When you open VEP as a VSTi in Cubase on your main rig it connects with the second computer and the Audio comes back into Cubase just as if the instrument were running on that rig.

VEP5 is Multi-timbrel and Multi Channel and Multi Instance and just about Multi Everything.
It can also receive Audio from your Cubase - process through whatever- and send it back to Cubase . . like an external effect.

I actually think it was created by the Gods and revealed in a burning bush to a searching programmer on Mount Vienna.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

So only one audio interface is required then?

I do want to set up VST-SL at some stage but am concerned if I purchase it (VEP), that a version 6 will come out.

I tend to know from this forum, when a new Cubase version comes out but have no idea about Vienna Ensemble.

Also, what do you think of the orchestral sounds, are they really the best in the business?

Cheers

Yes, only one interface for VEP5.

VST System Link definitely requires one on every computer.

If VEP6 comes out you can upgrade (maybe for free) or continue using 5.
In the same manner that I’m using Cubase 7.5.3 very happily (I’ve gotten over my case of “C8 envy”).

VEP5 only comes with a small sampling of Vienna’s amazing library - not enough to do any serious Orchestral work.
VEP5’s value is in it’s Server capabilities - and they are excellent.

Their’s is an excellent and massive and expensive library . .

As to being “the best”? Highly subjective.
There are a number of excellent libraries out there. All with their own approach and strengths.
About the time you think you’ve found “The Best” you’ll be working on something and . . . The wind articulations are just not (fill in blank) enough!
And you’ll be off buying another library . . .

Check out online reviews and such. Their are people out there that own a million of them and can speak with authority. Also the site of the devs themselves.

But if purchasing VEP5 is any deal for you you’re going to pass out when you see the Library prices . .

Hugh

Mostly true, while VST System Link does require a Steinberg product installed on each computer (Cubase, Nuendo, etc) and an audio interface with a digital audio connections on each to work, running In/Out from computer to computer, or daisy-chaining from machine to machine in the network in what they call a ‘ring network’ … to be clear, the VST System Link data & audio can very well be ran through the same digital cable without issue.
The problems Steinberg notes themselves is, only when you have a LOT of midi information passing through the digital audio cable, along with several audio tracks. This can be resolved by, #1 simply running data & audio via separate cables, or #2 running it via say, an 8 channel adat cable, using 1 channel for data only, and the other 7 channels available for audio, #3 simply record all your midi into a dedicated VSTi mamchine in the network, eliminating the need to send midi between machines in the 1st place.

I don’t know how many machines you’d have to be using within a VSL network to make this necessary (maybe 4 or more computers), but if total latency becomes too much of an issue, you can have one ‘main mix machine’ as your ‘master’ for accepting all other machines audio signals, this way all the audio signals arrive at the same latency. Same with using a dedicated sync machine.

I’m sure either works very well, but is a matter of preference & one’s own needs of course. I personally like the idea of syncing separate DAW machines together for the most flexibility…whether that be by VSL, or a dedicated sync device. Again, if VEP is also able to function as a full-featured DAW itself, then VEP would be the king of flexibility at a reasonable price point, but I don’t believe this to be the case.

I also don’t subscribe to needing another audio interface in general as being an issue. I’ve bought several full fledged audio interfaces fairly cheaply. Even when I was doing old school audio/mid networking a few years ago, it was only ‘one midi cable’ (from Master) and ‘one audio cable’ (back from Slave).

As for the OP, I’m still not clear why anyone would want to invest in both, I’d say one or the other. Even if it’s possible to ‘use’ both simultaneously…and it may be, it would get complicate fast.

Besides my original assumption of the OP wanting to use both methods simultaneously, as was each designed for… one thing I was wondering where he was going with this, if he was considering the possibility of sending VST System Link via Ethernet? or visa-versa… the possibility of send Vienna Ensemble Pro via a digital audio connection…??? I’d question if this is even possible(?)