accents

Hi guys, I remember seeing a thread about this but my googling efforts have not been fruitful.

When in note entry mode I hit left bracket for an accent, but then remembering to turn it off again (while also thinking about the next rhythmic value, pitch , is it a triplet, oh hang on it’s tied too etc) can leave your brain full. Is there/will there/could there be a setting to make it only apply to the next note you enter and then turn off automatically? I think someone called this sticky, or one shot or something…I can’t quite remember.

Cheers
Luke

There isn’t currently a way to turn the stickiness off, no.

May I suggest a single press of the keystroke enables the articulation only for the next note to be entered, and a quick double tap of a keystroke toggles the articulation. I would prefer this over adding a modifier key to add stickiness. I think the default should be non sticky articulations, although the team most likely have thought a lot about what occurs more often; single articulations here and there, or long passages of repeated articulations.

Looking forward to this being implemented one day.

Coming from Sibelius, I’ve been used to sticky articulation marks for over 20 years. I’d rather not see this changed…

I suppose you could implement something like the Finale thing where Caps Lock acts as a sort of sticky key.

Except that a lot of people just disable Caps Lock completely because hitting it is usually an accident.

Accurate timing of key presses is probably only possible in computer games which take over the entire PC. Mouse double clicks are detected by the operating system not the application, but AFAIK there is nothing equivalent for double key-presses.

It might have the bad side effect of slowing down typing as well, since every single key stroke would have to “wait” to see it if was going to be repeated and mean something different.

@pianoleo I understand but Dorico is doing many things different to Sibelius, in the hopes of improving the whole experience, right? If Dorico could implement something that could be helpful to some, would you be open to throwing some thoughts at how that may be implemented? You have a loooot of experience, surely you have a lot to add? I’ve read how Sibelius did pitch before duration and Daniel asked everyone to just trust them and try it the Dorico way. Maybe it could be the same here? Maybe not. But anyway,

When I’m entering 12 choruses of a jazz transcription for example, there are articulations that occur sporadically, accents, staccatos etc. My biggest problem as I stated earlier is simply remembering what I was up to (as far as “ok, eighth note, it’s staccato, and a triplet, enter pitch, ok next note, now what do I have to cancel…aah yes, the triplet, change to quarter note, did I turn staccato off?? aaaaah!!! etc” I feel it just slows things down. Sure, I’m starting out, and I will get faster, but it does leave my brain a bit sore after a couple of hundred bars. If there was a way to hit an articulation and it to turn off after the next note entry, that would go a long way to help alleviate how much I needed to keep in my head at any one time. Right?

There could always be an option to disable non stickiness?

@Rob Good point about typing. I’m not sure about the technicalities, it was just an idea of how to get speed entry happening really fast.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Or do I just let this one go?

Sibelius introduced pitch duration as an option, very late in the day, in order to appeal to potential switchers from Finale. They didn’t remove duration before pitch, though - the Finale-style option was hidden away in a dialog (and one I never touched). You’re suggesting an actual change, as far as I can tell. If you need to enter articulations sporadically, you can always enter them outside of note entry mode, one at a time.

That’s what I do… enter the notes, then exit note input and add the articulations.

True, but to go through the entire 12 choruses again from the beginning…if you’re already there at the note, surely it makes sense to enter the articulation too…I dunno.

and Leo, I wouldn’t say I’m trying to change anything, I’m really not. Maybe I am. Maybe I’m suggesting a consideration (is that even a proper sentence…) I’m just trying to see if we can discuss something that may or may not have potential to improve Dorico.

Most of the time I do enter articulations as I go, but equally most of the time I can remember what I’ve got turned on and how to turn it off (and if I don’t, I can either hit Return a couple of times to get out of note input and back in, or I can refer to the left panel).

Note values, articulations, tuplet and slurs are all sticky. If you enter a note with an accidental, then, at least within that bar, if you enter the same pitch again the previously-entered accidental remains in force. The idea of breaking that consistency doesn’t instantly sit well with me.

I personally like the way you switch between entry mode and editing mode in Dorico hitting ESC or enter. I usually enter a bunch of notes and then come back making fine adjustments on articulation, duration, and dynamics and everything can be done with the keyboard. What bothers me is that if you’re editing dynamics and articulations afterward, when you enter a dynamic or a slur, the selection goes to that element and you can’t move back to notes with the keyboard (or can you?).

This is new behavior since version 3, and I don’t like it. I understand they were trying to improve the rather random horizontal selection issue, but I miss the ability to just move through the staff horizontally. Hopefully there are some additional options in this regard in the future.

You can. Hit Tab repeatedly until you get back to a note. Granted, it’s a right pain in the backside when you’re trying to add a series of playing techniques to a bunch of notes in quick succession (like upbows and downbows).

This

That’s good enough! Thanks. I think it would be better that as a standard if you select a note to input something the note keeps selected, as still happens with articulations, by the way.

Articulations and Playing Techniques aren’t comparable for these purposes. Articulations are properties of the note (so the note stays selected) whereas Playing Techniques are objects in their own right.

As already mentioned, doing separate runs through a score for entering different elements can be a good way to avoid these problems. It has been part of my workflow for years, as it makes checking my work for errors part of the routine.