Accidental before wrong note

Hi everybody, please look to the attached screenshot!
I would like to hide the natural in front of the tied D in the second bar. But if I do this, then the sharp of the D sharp jumps in front of the D. How can I prevent this?
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-04 um 22.42.04

I would leave it as it is, with the natural visible before the D, and the sharp after it, just to be clear about what’s happening. Maybe less clear for someone sight-reading, but at least it’s unambiguous.

By moving it in Engrave mode you can get

Select the yellow note and make adjustments that you like; e.g.

Unless there’s a special reason for it to be a D natural, I’d re-pitch it as C double sharp which removes any possibility of confusion.

Thank you very much! Yes, this works!

1 Like

I am having the same problem in Mozart. The sharp is for the eighth note D#, not for the tied D natural:

unison and accidental

I don’t know why the program is doing this, but it shouldn’t be happening.

While I agree that Dorico should not put the sharp in front of the tied-to note where it doesn’t belong, I have an alternative to the workaround given by @Mats_Frendahl that doesn’t involve changing the offset of the sharp and the note to which it belongs:

1. Select the tied-to note in engrave mode and deactivate the Accidental property so the natural sign in front of that note is not hidden.
  2. Edit the 12-EDO tonality system (or a copy of it) and create a new accidental with no glyph and a pitch delta of zero.
  3. Apply the new accidental to the tied note in write mode.

@John_Ruggero
When I type the top staff in fresh, Dorico reorders the notes in question to give me…

If I want, I can use Engrave mode to hide the natural sign for the tied over D (and lower the tie slightly too)

[What I’m not sure of is why using slices turns all my PNG slices to B&W even though I ask for color. :person_shrugging: ]

@johnkprice and @Derrek Thank you for your help.

Here is what it’s supposed to look like, which I accomplished by using the system described earlier in the thread.

johnkprice, I had trouble following the instructions for your solution because I hadn’t yet dealt with tonality systems. I created a new tonality system and edited the natural that appeared in the column by trashing it. This removed the natural before the D in the score but I was right back to the way it looked in the first example. So I probably did something wrong, not understanding the matter of the “pitch delta”.

Since you have managed to accomplish what you needed by following Mats’ workaround, I won’t bother elaborating on mine unless you really want me to.

@johnkprice I always greatly appreciate your elegant solutions. Perhaps I just need to become more knowledgable about Dorico’s tonality systems? If so, I don’t want you to waste any time with this. Otherwise, maybe a little hint would send me in the right direction.

Here is a more detailed description of my workaround starting with the music as shown in your first image in this topic:

1. Select the tied-to note in engrave mode and deactivate the Accidental property so the natural sign in front of that note is not hidden.
  2. Open the Key Signatures, Tonality Systems, and Accidentals panel in write mode.
  3. Observe that Equal temperament (12-EDO) is selected in the tonality system drop-down list.
  4. Click on the pencil icon underneath the drop-down list to edit this tonality system. Note that any changes you make to this tonality system are local to the current project unless you click on Save As Default.
  5. Click on the plus sign underneath the list of accidentals in the Edit Tonality System dialog box to create a new accidental.
  6. Observe that the new accidental has no glyph and a pitch delta of zero as shown in the upper right corner of the Edit Accidental dialog box.
  7. Click on OK in the Edit Accidental dialog box.
  8. Click on OK in the Edit Tonality System dialog box.
  9. Select the tied note if it isn’t already selected.
  10. At the bottom of the right panel, click on the new accidental. Since it has no glyph, you can’t see it, but if you hover the mouse pointer over it, the tooltip will say New Accidental.

As I suspected, a super-solution to the problem. No repositioning at all. Fantastic. Thank you again @johnkprice for taking the time to explain that so well.

So the sharp was “waiting” for an accidental to displace it to the other side of the note. But that is not going to happen with a tied-to note unless forced by a blank character.

1 Like