Accidentally activated USB e-licenser. No way back?

Hi,

I just bought Dorico and, unaware of the implications, I activated it using the USB e-licenser in the package. I’m using Dorico on a laptop machine which I frequently take with me, and this means that I have to take the USB device with me wherever I go, which is a nuisance.

I now read that there’s no way I can move a license back to the “soft” e-licenser, but was hoping the support team would be somehow able to help me and revert to a soft license? Again, I only need to use the license on a single machine.

Thanks,

Uri

Dear Uri,

I am very sorry, but there is nothing we can do about this.

As soon as a license has been downloaded to a USB-eLicenser, there is no way back onto the hard disk.

Thanks for your understanding.

But does Dorico support soft elicencer? I understood it was key only regardless?

Please have a look here:

Thanks

Hi Anja,

Thanks for your reply. I understand but this just feels wrong. A license protection mechanism should not prevent your users from using the software in a certain way that’s available to other users. I have to stress that never throughout the license activation did I see a message saying the process is irreversible, or explaining the implications. I can’t believe I now have to worry about taking the USB key with me every time I leave.

One more point - even if there’s a technical limitation with the e-license technology - I imagine you could at least give your laptop users a 24-hour grace period in which they can work away from the studio before re-connecting to the USB key. The software just threw an exception and did not even allow me to save my work.

Please pass this on to the development team.

Thanks,

Uri