Accidentals on tied notes in modernist options

Hello,
Could you add a function of accidentals on tied notes in Modernistyczna options? It should be : accidentals apply only to one note, also tied note.
Now I have to spend many time to correct it in engraver mode. First I have to select notes and turn on accidentals/show. It is very tiring and irritating.
I hope you can understand me and help me solve my problem.

Best,
Marcin

Welcome to the forum, Marcin. Could you clarify exactly what you mean? You want Dorico to show an accidental on each note in the tie chain?

Yes, I want to show an accidentals on each note in the tie chain like in example below:
exp1

Thanks for confirming. I’ll make a note of this and we will consider it for future versions.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to solve this issue.

I wouldn’t need a cautionary accidental in all tied notes, but an automatic cautionary accidental (in brackets) for tied notes in the beginning of a system would be very, very useful (at least in the beginning of a page, or at a page turn). (I’m thinking of very long notes that span for systems/pages.)

3 Likes

I’d agree with the utility of showing them over breaks, but – a tie joins notes of the same pitch. Would a Modernist play a different note without them?

2 Likes

It’s a good question. I’m not sure, but I don’t think so. I actually use Dorico’s “Modernist” option in a “traditional” way: that is, I prefere having accidentals on all notes (except immediate repetitions) to avoid doubts and ambiguities, which could arise in rehearsals.

I’ve been studying the scores of Wozzeck lately, and finding many exceptions to whatever rules you care to derive from them regarding accidentals. Particularly, where redundant accidentals are omitted is irregular. It seems to me what is most clearly readable is always a matter of some editorial judgment. Restating after a system break can be useful (even in traditional scores) in case one is starting there. But where the tones are easy to understand, repetitive accidentals become clutter and make reading harder rather than easier.

Not meaning to criticize the feature request; just adding my recent experience.

2 Likes

Modernist option is available in Dorico from the beginning (or almost from the beginning). It’s very good idea. However, with the notation where accidentals apply only to one note this should also apply to each note in the tie chain. Then the performer does not have to wonder if it is notes under the slur or tied notes. In this way, we avoid many misunderstandings during rehearsals.

This type of notation is best for pieces with no or partially no measures. For a better understanding of this method of notation, I propose to analyze a few scores of Witold Lutoslawski. The analysis of these pieces is also good because they are great compositions :slight_smile: