Accordion playing techniques

Bonjour,
Je me présente, je m’appelle Laurent Colombo et je suis accordéonniste.
Je voudrais savoir si ce serait envisageable de mettre dans le menu technique de jeu une rubrique accordéon en intégrant les 15 registres main droite ainsi que les registres du clavier main gauche avec aussi des symboles pour les basses chromatiques et les basses standard.
Il serait aussi intéressant de prévoir un module de tablature pour les accordéons diatoniques car cela fait cruellement défaut dans les logiciels actuels.
Malheureusement je ne mis connais pas assez.
Si vous avez besoin d’aide pour le module accordéon si vous pensez que se serait bien je répondrais présent pour vous aidez si vous le souhaitez.

Hello,
My name is Laurent Colombo and I am an accordionist.
I would like to know if it would be conceivable to put in the technical menu an accordion section integrating the 15 right hand registers as well as the left hand keyboard registers with also symbols for chromatic and standard basses.
It would also be interesting to include a tablature module for diatonic accordions, as this is sorely lacking in current software.
Unfortunately I don’t know enough about it.
If you need help with the accordion module if you think it would be a good idea, I will be there to help you if you wish.
technical

Bonjour Laurent !

Je ne sais pas si les indications existent dans Bravura. Si c’est le cas, il est assez simple de se créer des techniques de jeu, et dès lors qu’on les sauve par défaut (en leur appliquant l’étoile), elles sont accessibles dans tous les nouveaux documents.
Le seul truc qui manque, c’est la possibilité de créer une catégorie instrumentale dans le panneau des techniques de jeu. Mais l’idée générale de Dorico, c’est d’utiliser au maximum le clavier, et toutes ces nouvelles techniques peuvent avoir des mots-clés faciles à appeler avec le popover maj-P.
Bienvenue sur ce forum !

1 Like

oui je comprends mais si on a fait une technique de jeu pour la harpe je pense que l’on pourrait le faire pour l’accordéon car ça ne serait pas du luxe.

Yes, I understand but if we made a playing technique for the harp I think we could do it for the accordion because it wouldn’t be a luxury.

1 Like

Merci pour bienvenue dans le forum c’ :grinning:est sympas

Welcome to the forum, Laurent, and thanks for your requests concerning idiomatic accordion notation. We do plan to provide greater support for couplers etc. in a future version, but I’m afraid I can’t say exactly when that is likely to be.

1 Like

Hello,

I am very happy to see that you are thinking about the playing technique of
the accordion.
If I can ever help you on this subject, don’t hesitate.
I understand that it takes time.

Cordialement / Mit Freundlichen Grüßen
Laurent Colombo
0685665767 / (0033)685665767

1 Like

Maybe this can help… I copied the symbols from Smulf and added them to a dorico project. I used the same name as in smufl preceeded by accordion, for eg. Accordion Right hand, 3 ranks, 4’ stop (piccolo)

Accordion.dorico (565.5 KB)

I have included also the empty symbols, this allows for example to include in educational resources and draw the dots by hand.

I’m not and accordionist, so please check if everything is as expected.

2 Likes

Hi Laurent,

Maybe you were looking for something close to this?

That’s NorDeon font, a font I developed this week for entering accordion diagrams, the font is still WIP.

Please I need some help. I’m using Dorico 5 and Noteperformer 4 (both trial versions) in an orchestral piece with one accordion. The fact is the instrument doesn’t allow to change the volume in the mixer. It remains the same all the way up and down. I don’t know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Please don’t ask the same question in different threads. Most of the people who will be willing to help read most (if not all) threads. :wink:
It’s actually not really a problem that the mixer faders are not automated: you should be able to modify the volume by changing the dynamics in notation. What you really need to check out is whether the dynamics are taken into account by the virtual instrument. NotePerformer obviously follows the dynamics automatically (you must use a playback template to make NotePerformer work, so that will solve the expression map potential issue).
You might have a problem with the fact that NotePerformer has its own mixer (which you can access through Play mode left panel VST rack or Routing, pressing the round e next to its name) where you can set your relative volumes. Dorico only shows one signal per NotePerformer instance (16 instruments).

1 Like

I apologize for the inconvenience. I’m new to this forum.
I’m going to try the last part of your suggestion.
There’s no problem with the dynamics in notation.
Thanks a lot for the quick response.

I answered in the other thread.
As Marc says, please do not double-post.

Sorry, I undestood the complaint the first time. The second time is just useless.
I entered this forum because I couldn’t find an explanation to my situation anywhere else. I’m using the Dorico mixer I don’t access anything in NP.
I have an orchestral piece with an accordion. Any other instrument sounds ok except that one. I’m trying Dorico beacause I have used Musescore, Finale and Sibelius (in that order) and everyone has some kind of failures. I hope Dorico is not the same case because it sounds pretty good to me except for the accordion.
I’m an TI expert for 50+ years and a composser for 20+ and I have the idea that none software notation is 100% reliable I just really hope it doesn’t also apply to Dorico.
Thanks!

That may be part of the problem. The Dorico Mixer, when used with NP, customarily receives only one composite stereo output from NP. If your principal problem is that the volume of the accordion does not balance with the rest of the NP instruments, you need to handle that in the NP Mixer.

I don’t think the problem you’re having with the accordion is really a Dorico problem. It is more about the vsti you’re using. For instance, the additional mixer of NotePerformer is not a problem from Dorico. It is NotePerformer that has been developed like that :person_shrugging: You may find that neither NotePerformer nor Dorico have a satisfying accordion sound, but Dorico will allow you to use any other library (which should also be possible with other notation software, to be fair)
Dorico’s main assets are its beautiful output (that is clearly what made me switch on day one), its levels of abstraction that allow it to follow engraving rules, no matter the meter, cues in sync, condensing for full scores, its flows, its layouts… This is what I would try out! And also the quality of the forum (apologies for starting with the little rant :pray:) where you will find answers to all your questions in no time!

2 Likes

I’m going to try that. Appreciate it!

Thanks for the guidance.
I will exhaust all efforts to make everything work well.

I appreciate your comments. You’re a gentleman!

1 Like

Thank you guys. You both were right.
I solved the issue by increasing the accordion volume in NotePerformer mixer.
Now my piece sounds the way I wanted.
Appreciate it!!!

2 Likes