Accordion Registers

Dear Members

I cannot find out the way how to write register-symbols for Accordion. I found the appropriate glyphs by chance while creating new accidentals, they where somewhere in Bravura font - but how is it possible to use them as playing techniques in the music?

Thank you for some help!

You can use Engrave > Playing Techniques to create accordion register symbols. Here is the relevant documentation: let us know if you get stuck.

If you want i can help yo too

You see Daniel, it would be interesting in the future to incorporate Accordion register. :grinning:

2 Likes

Dear Daniel

thank you very much for that speedy answer - that was the solution! It’s just a bit complicated to get access to these common symbols. But: I’m new with Dorico (using for 20 years Sibelius) - and step by step after having copied some of my solo-pieces for trombone, I understand the concept and I am very impressed: it’s a fantastic software - I hope very much that the suggestions from the contemporary music colleagues (staff styles e.g.) will be implemented soon, the microtonal possibilities are just great, never seen something like it before.

Thank you very much, best greetings

Lukas

Dear Laurent

Thank you - Daniel’s suggestion helped me. Best, Lukas

MuseScore has the symbols built in.
Why we need to paint in Dorico?

Cheers
Stevie

We haven’t yet implemented a bespoke feature for accordion couplers, but we may implement such a feature in future.

1 Like

Accordion register symbols can be entered as music text (I think Music Text is a new feature in Dorico 4, so it is probably not available in previous versions).

1. Select a note.
  2. Press shift-X.
  3. Right-click at the blinking insertion point and choose Insert Music Text… (the only option)
  4. A window entitled Insert Music Symbol will open up.
  5. Click on Recently used. A long drop-down menu will appear.
  6. Type acc to select Accordion (U+E8A0-U+E8DF) and press Enter. A gallery of various accordion symbols will appear.

1. Choose the one you want and click on OK.

The selected symbol should now appear above the note.
Because it has been entered as text, you can change the size of the symbol by selecting it and choosing a different point size.

5 Likes

You can also:

1. press shift-X
  2. select “Music text” from the first drop-box
  3. open this page:
    Accordion - Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL)
  4. and copy the symbols you need to the text field.
    I think its faster, specially if you have to chose a lot of symbols.
1 Like

Dorico 4 also includes a handy music character picker so we no longer have to go to a webpage to find them.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s true, thanks. The problem is that if you want to insert several symbols from the same set (that are not in the recent used symbols selection) the music character picker is a little bit awkward. It would be much better that it allowed to pick several symbols without quitting it each time as now occurs, I think. If you copy the symbols from the web this process is very fast.

1 Like