"Activate Sidechain" Button Missing Entirely?

Hello,

I just upgraded to Cubase 10.5 Elements from Cubase 7 AI.
Everything is working great, except the “Activate Sidechain” button that I know should be found in many of my vst plugins (such as “Compressor”) is missing entirely. I understand that not all plugins have this option, but the Cubase Compressor plugin for example has been shown to have this option in many Cubase tutorials I see online teaching sidechain compression. As a matter of fact, I do not see any sidechain options anywhere I look (or right-click on certain areas- it’s as if I am in an alternate universe where this handy tool does not exist).

I have attached a screenshot for your reference. Is there perhaps a setting that I have to modify on the back end?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

You are - it´s called the „Cubase Elements universe“, whereas Cubase users with sidechain option are in the „Cubase Artist or -Pro universe“.

Yikes. You are absolutely correct and I hadn’t even considered that an option. Thanks!

I’m using Cubase Pro 10 and the side chain button doesn’t appear on 3rd party plugins (e.g. Fabfilter), even though their online guides say this side-chaining is possible.

Even the little dropdown at the top right doesn’t seem to have it. Any thoughts?

You need to use the VST3 version of the plugin,or plugins

To Zalladi

1 Like

Cubase 11 elements has that option.
To Mikepapaloni.

1 Like

VST3
This is where you can see which version the plugin is.

2 Likes

Yes I upgraded from 10.5 Elements to 11 Elements purely for the addition of the side chaining feature. Before 11 it wasn’t available to Elements users.

You’d think that after having used Cubase since the Atari days, I’d have known this!