Activation Manager doesn't load

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here will do their best to look after you!

1 Like

Do you use by the way the iLok version of Vienna Suite Pro? In my case this version caused that on one (!) of my 2 pc’s Dorico couldn’t start.

Hi Richard, thanks for the prompt reply! Originally Dorico wouldn’t run and would come up with the ‘eLicenser error’ a number of other folks in the forums have had. In reinstalling the SDA and Dorico, Dorico opens and tries to open SAM to activate the license, however the SAM becomes non responsive. I have downloaded/installed the SAM separately and in opening it just bounces in the dock. I have also tried starting it with the License Engine.app as mentioned above. The SAM opens but is then perpetually stuck at the ‘loading, please wait screen’.
I’m currently doing a full factory reset on my Mac and have deleted the apps for now. I was also using the most recent SAM download (downloaded yesterday). If the problem persists after my reset, I’ll let you know. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks heaps :slight_smile:

Have completed a factory rest and Dorico is now working again :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it’s all working!

Same issue here, same frustration. I’ve transferred the e-license to my new machine, installed Dorico, and confirmed the new activation code. When I try to run Dorico, it opens a dialogue box that says, “Launching Steinberg Activation Manager,” and below that it tells me to switch to the Activation Manager and follow the prompts. But AM never opens. It says that if it’s not already running, click on “Relaunch.” But clicking does nothing. I’ve installed and reinstalled AM, and still nothing happens.

Why is this such a difficult process…?

Does the Steinberg Activation Manager run correctly if you launch it on its own, instead of launching it by running Dorico first? If you run SAM, leave it running in the background, and then run Dorico, what happens?

That’s just it–it won’t run on its own. I’ve tried starting it separately. It just won’t run, period.

Okay. So. The Activation Manager finally, finally got going. It says I have No Licenses Found … but if I have a Download Access Code, I should run the Steinberg Download Assistant. So I run the Download Assistant. When it asks me for the activation code–the new one I just received yesterday after updating the license–it throws an error message saying “Process with the ID NOT found.”

I’m about at the end of my rope with this. Every step I manage to strain forward, it throws me for another loop.

Please excuse me for asking such remedial questions, but have you tried restarting your computer? Do you have a stable Internet connection? Is the code you are trying to enter into Steinberg Download Assistant a Download Access Code (which is typically formatted as five groups of five digits/letters) or an Activation Code (which is typically formatted as eight groups of four digits/letters)?

Can you zip up the Activation Manager folder from your user app data folder and attach it here?

Easy yes to the first two. I believe I did actually enter the activation code instead of the DA code. But then … where do I find/get the DA code?

Here’s the AM folder (the one you’re looking for, I hope):

Activation Manager.zip (14.8 KB)

It certainly appears to my semi-untrained eye that you don’t have any licenses activated at the moment via Steinberg Activation Manager, and looking at your Steinberg ID account you don’t appear to have any valid Download Access Codes.

So let’s go back to first principles: which version of which product are you trying to run on this computer? The only product I can see in your account for which you have a license is Dorico Pro 3.5, which doesn’t require Steinberg Activation Manager: that requires the older eLicenser Control Center software, and if you’re installing that on a new computer, you need to follow the reactivation workflow described here:

If you have another Steinberg ID with other licenses associated with it, then of course it’s possible you have other products that I’m not seeing.

Please let me know how I can further help you.

Sorry—it’s been a few days since I could get back to this.

I’m not sure why I was convinced I had Dorico 4, but … it was indeed 3.5. And that took care of things. Sometimes it’s the simplest fixes that elude us the most perniciously.

I really appreciate your help on this.

Now to the next pernicious (and hopefully simple) fix … getting the sound to work. But that’s a subject for another thread…

The standard advice for lack of sound on playback is to work through this troubleshooting video: