ADAT connections in Cubase 12

Setup: Windows 10/FireFace 802/slaved to Octamic II. Q: If I buy a 3rd party ADAT device and connect it to the RME - will Cubase Studio connections ‘see’ this device if I hit the plus sign to add I/Os? Out of the box, most of these 8-in 8-out ADATs default to what with regards to the outputs? Mirror the inputs? Unless you use their software (they would obviously need USB or similar) to configure a standalone state? If you have experience with this - adding an ADAT to your rig - please post. Thanks for your time - it’s much appreciated.

Adat connections have no effect on Cubase per se.

It is the driver of the audio interface that deals with this. The driver will already have given Cubase the option to address Adat inputs and outputs, regardless of whether a device was connected or not. The port name depend on the driver.

On my system the Adat ins and outs are always available in Cubase even though, at the moment, I have no device connected to Adat.

2 Likes

Thanks. So even if the device is not connected but more importantly - even if another ASIO device is chosen?

I have the Fireface 800. If I open the ADAT I/O through the FireFace settings then they are available in Cubase:

The third party outboard isn’t seen by anything other than your FireFace or Octamic, whichever you plug it into. After that, it’s just the ADAT channels of your RME device.
If I were you I would post this over on the RME forum and see what they have to say about configuring this setup. The Cubase end of things is pretty straight forward.

In your second post you ask ‘even if another ASIO device is chosen’. Then no, the third party device is only seen through what it’s connect to. If it’s connected to you RME setup, and you switch to another ASIO audio interface, then you won’t see your third party device. ASIO is one-at-a-time.

That’s excellent, thanks. Just to be clear, I only want to use the RME driver. I just wanted know if I buy another brand of ADAT, install the driver, connected it through my RME - would Cubase still allow me to add it as a connection. Yes it sounds obvious, but I did ask at the RME forum and got some conflicting advice. I know that I won’t be able to see the non-RME device in TotalMix FX. However if I buy a FF800 to do this, it will open its own WorkPlace, not join the one I have. So I’m figuring, I might as well buy something else anyway. The reason I asked here, is because on other forums, they don’t know Cubase. I’m only interested in what happens in Cubase. So long as it sees the ADAT hanging off the RME, I’m fine.

You won’t need to install a driver for your third party device - actually you probably shouldn’t install the driver. The only thing that should be ‘talking’ to the device is whichever of your RME devices is the master, which you said was the Octamic. Your computer, and thus Cubase, doesn’t need to see it and will potentially cause problems if it does. If it were me I wouldn’t install the driver.
What is the device?

Based on what you’ve said, this is what I think your setup should look like, although I think I would consider swapping the Octamic and the 802. I think the 802 would be the better hub/master device, but I haven’t looked that closely at the Octamic specs.

1 Like

Thanks very much! Very kind of you. I can’t recall why, but it was easier to make the Octamic the ADAT master and I noticed on GearSpace, another person with the same setup did the same thing. However I found a post which makes a good point about it being preferable that the 802 is master, using word clock. I might do that, because it means that the host sets the 802 rate which then sets the OctaMic. That would be easier than changing the control panel. Your poin about the driver is important - thank you. On the unit - if I get the cash, I might get a Focusrite, but I’m also considering even a Behringer, as it will be patched to the analog Midas anyway.

You’re welcome. I would pick the 802 as master because it’s more of a do it all interface, that’s meant to be a hub. It will give you more system status indicators, it gives you the phone outputs up front, it gives you the choice of connecting to your computer either by Firewire or USB, and then there’s the Wordclock. The Octamic is meant to be a very good 8 pre-amp unit with a built in interface. I think the performance specs are similar, and very good on each, so there’s no reason not to get the extra benefits of having the 802 in the center. Of course there might be factors of which I’m unaware, but it’s easy enough for you to try both configurations and see how they work.

1 Like

Hi Guys
I need assistance setting up Cubase LE with windows XP and RME HDSP 9652 for impoting ADAT 20XT tracks direct into Cubase.
I have installed RME drivers all ok , the Windows XP find RME ok, light goes out on the ADAT ports , Sampling rate is changing on the PC in RME ok ,but tracks cant from ADAT dont come throught. It seems that ADAT and PC don’t communicate.
Any asistance welcome
Thanks

Hi and welcome.
NGL, your post feels like it’s coming from another century.

Your ADAT needs to be connected via ADAT lightpipe to the RME HDSP 9652. It’s clock should be set to slave. So far for the hardware side.
Can you find out which version number your Cubase LE is?

Actually is not my system is a friends
Cubase is LE 5
Thanks

Your friend should open TotalMix (software from RME) to see if an audio signal is coming through the ADAT channels.

Well is not passing throught

Say what?