Add a "Replace selected" option when replacing a file by another

Hi all,

I’m really missing this option on a regular basis :

I love the ability to replace an audio file by another by dragging from the pool and dropping it to the project window on top of the event(s) I want to replace while holding “Shift” BUT,

We only get two options when doing so :

• Replace only the event on top of which you drop the audio file
  • Replace all events refering to the audio file in the project

I always want to do exactly in-between that, I would like to have a third option that would replace all selected clips by the new audio file.

ex :

• I have my audio track edited and cleaned up, chopped up in many events with fades and all, and the artist/producer sends me a new version for whatever reason
  • I duplicate my trackversion and want to replace all audio on my new trackversion with the new audio file
  • If I choose “replace all” I loose my original audio on every trackversion that had the original audio.
  • If I choose “Replace only this”, It will replace only the first event on which I am dropping the new file…I have to do it manually for every event which is too time consuming.
  • With the option to “replace selected”, i could select all events on my trackversion and replace them in one go without loosing my original audio/edit on other trackversions.

Sorry, long explanation for something quite simple but I couldn’t manage to make it shorter…

I’d like to hear if someone has a way of doing this neat and fast !

Regards

Yannick

1 Like

+1

+1

Steinberg could take Pro Tools as an example for thoughts about even more options:

Niek/ Amsterdam

1 Like

Yup. Very easy in other DAWs. Very hard in Cubase.

1 Like

Agreed, this added option would be nice. Cubase as well.

Oh yes, +1.

Hi there, just digging up my three year old post to see if we could get something done about this :wink:

Best regards
Yannick

Something here, would be great since deleting, removing from a project and then deleting again, from the file system is a great pain for a project with many tracks.

Wow, I never knew Pro Tools had that many options for replacing. Man Nuendo needs to catch up in some of these workflow features. Really crossing fingers that v13 focuses on this kind of stuff and not big new shiny stuff that no one is asking for.

Indeed, it’s good to look elsewhere and adjust one’s offering. Nuendo is wonderful in many respects, but lagging behind in others (such as clip gain - yes, I’m repeating myself!). Avid has been very energetic over the past 2 years, particularly in adding Nuendo’s strengths to its own. The proof: yesterday’s latest news, Pro Tools adds an internal Renderer, as in Nuendo, which corrects a situation that was embarrassing under Windows. Big step forward.

Don’t forget to vote if you want the feature!