Add volume, send level and pan to Quick Controls from right click menu

It would be nice to be able to add channel volume, send level and pan to Quick Controls (or specific QC slot) from right click menu in a same way like channel strip and plugin parameters can be quickly mapped from MixConsole or Edit Channel view.

Absolutely. It works fine with the “learn” knob on the QC. But that is a function that can not be mapped to a generic controller. (And is not on CMC121 either)

I also looked into that CC121-controller, but came to conclusion it would not solve this for me, even though it is able to control Quick Controls and sends also. For me the ‘deal breaker’ with CC121 is that this seems to possible only with the potentiometers and not the fader.

The solutions (at least for me) would be:

a) Ability to add volume level, send levels and pan to Quick Controls like all other parameters. Then any MIDI controller would do at least the basic job.

b) Ability to turn on Quick Control Learn mode for current channel via shortcut (command). Then any MIDI controller would do the basic job, with one extra press of a button/keyboard shortcut.

c) Both a AND b.

Currently I have to use this one fader Mackie-compatible desktop controller just for volume, sends and pan (through ‘horrible’ layer/modifier labyrinth on the controller), and then a second standard MIDI fader controller just for Quick Controls.

But in my workflow I’ve mostly ended up using only one of the eight faders in the MIDI controller assigned to Quick Controls, because of the marvellous “Add to Quick Controls slot 1” function. Still, I have to use the Mackie-controller just to access volume, sends and pan.

So, I could get rid of 7 faders and/or one controller device worth of desktop space, if volume, sends and pan were quickly map-able. I personally don’t need ‘dynamic parameter value mirroring’ on a motorized fader, like the CC121 offers, but would very much appreciate if I could just unify all my ‘tactile’ controlling needs under one single fader. And this is already possible for all other parameters via Quick Control assigning, except ‘native’ channel volume level, send levels and panning.

To my understanding, for some reason, the CC121 also seems to lack a simple fader flip function, so the high quality fader is limited to controlling only channel level, and the AI knob basically provides same functionality as a standard mouse scroll wheel for parameter control? Or if it’s possible to mirror the AI knob to fader on the CC121, I’m instantly buying one.

One different thing with AI is that it has a lock, when it is locked it does not follow pointer.

Ah, ok. But the lock probably doesnt mirror the AI knob to fader, right? It’s still kind of a shame that most software have sorted this out ‘a decade ago’ with some kind of simple freely assignable adjust ‘last touched/currently selected’ parameter with a keyboard shortcut and/or MIDI controller. Cubase in practice can do 8 of these via Quick Controls, except for the most basic mixer control without having to ‘dive into the menus’. And then, vice versa, Cubase seems to allow direct channel volume and pan control only via fixed discrete commands (primary/secondary parameter control) or a separate supported control surface device.

Im not sure what you refers with mirror. If you point to a fader and lock, the knob is locked to that fader.

AI&QC was “hot” for a few releases then it died out. I think it was a mistake not to “enforce” the find_parameter for VST3 plugins. Most vendors have problem with this. But Steinberg is also a big problem for not make it get though their product in a good way.

By mirroring the fader I meant the fader on the CC121 controller device itself. The fader and the AI knob on the CC121 device would mirror each other, so the fader on CC121 device could also be used to control whatever parameter the AI knob is controlling. This would make the CC121 a desireable product for me, and ‘solve’ my problem.

Far more simple and streamlined solution would be just to include ‘Add “parameter” to Quick Controls’ and ‘Add “parameter” to Quick Controls Slot >’ in the right click menus for channel volume level, send levels and panning parameters as well, in Cubase user interface itself. Just like Steinberg already have included it for every other channel strip and plugin parameter (3rd party as well).

I think the Quick Controls work very well, but in case of channel volume, send levels and pan, they have to be assigned more or less ‘manually/separately’, or by engaging the QC Learn mode, through Inspector every time. It is possible, but quite cumbersome compared to channel strip and plugin parameters, which can be assigned directly from MixConsole, Channel Edit or plugin views.

In other words, I think Cubase already has a working system for this, but it’s user interface lacks the ability to assign basic mixer control (volume, sends and pan) as quickly as other parameters (channel strip and plugins) into Quick Controls Slots.

I dont think will work. Knobs are relative. They increase or decease a value. A fader is absolute. So you can add relative values to a absolute, but not the opposite.

Yes, unfortunately this seems to be the case. I don’t have a CC121, so can’t test this. But technically the mirroring between the CC121 fader and AI knob is probably possible. I assume the CC121 communicates with Cubase via a proprietary Steinberg protocol, and every parameter which the AI knob can control in Cubase, still has to operate on a finite and automatable scale (stated in the CC121 manual), so technically Cubase could just scale the absolute parameter values from a finite scale to the CC121 faders native bit resolution values and vice versa, and then read and write these value for the CC121 fader, if the hypothetical mirror mode between the CC121 fader and AI knob was ever implented.

Don’t think so. They the AI can be used for time domain. (I cant find any right now, but it would be a limitation AI that I dont think exist)

If by time domain you mean jogging/scubbing/transport control, this can be done with motorized fader, or even with a pitch bend wheel. With motorized fader, the motor would provide the centralizing force toward neutral (mid/center) control position, and the displacement in fader position would then control the rate of change into either positive or negative direction. And the average acceleration of the fader could also be measured and used as separate control signal as well. Kind of like Playstation controller analog sticks work, but instead of springs a fader could use it’s motor for centralizing force. But indeed I don’t think transport control/jogging/scrubbing via a fader is such a good idea, and that feature could easily be left unmirrored.

Still, I think the most simple solution would be the right click menu ‘Add to Quick Controls’ also for volume, sends and panning inside Cubase. :slight_smile: