adding multiple playing techniques at a time

Is it possible to add multiple playing techniques at a time, like “arco, sul pont”? Nothing seems to appear when I try it.
When I input them individually, “sul pont” always appears on top even if I add it last. I want “arco” to be on top. Is that possible without using engrave mode to manually tweak it?
And finally, is there a way of adding playing techniques to multiple staves at a time? It only seems to work one stave at a time.

1 Like

You can create a playing technique that is arco, sul pont. Or input those individually, and you might then start by the one you want below.
Once it’s applied, you can select them and alt-click them anywhere you want those playing techniques applied.

Thanks!

You can override the order in which a pair of playing techniques appear at the same rhythmic position using the ‘Tucking index’ property.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel for the explanation, I didn’t know what this tucking index was about!

Why is there a default order for playing techniques? This makes sense if we combine symbols and text, but why two different texts?

I’ve used this one before, but later in the score I usually offset it with a reverse instruction: “get off your high horse.”

3 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Excellent! Those damn phones, so hard to write without mistakes… I did correct it now :wink:

2 Likes

Slightly related question: Is it expected behaviour to have one playing technique replace another one. For example, I have sul tasto for the celli and would like them to also show legato, but if I input one it replaces the other one. Is there a way to override this? Thanks!

When two playback techniques (triggered by playing techniques or articulations) belong to the same mutual exception group, you can’t have them both at once (natural and pizzicato, for instance). Otherwise, you can define the way to play them in the expression map (sul tasto+legato). If it’s not defined, chances are Dorico will default to natural…

I think Rodrigo’s point was about adding Playing Techniques on the page, not Playback Techniques.
Rodrigo, if you select an existing Playing Technique and hit Enter, you’re editing that Playing Technique so you will indeed end up replacing the PT you’ve selected. If instead you select the note or invoke the caret, then type Shift-P whatever Enter, you’ll get a second Playing Technique.

The Tucking Index property of each PT can then be used to tell Dorico how to stack the PTs (0 = closest to the stave, 1 = slightly further away from the stave, 2 = on top of the existing two etc.)

2 Likes

Hi, Leo. Hi, Marc. Yes, my question was precisely about the Playing Techniques on the page. As always, you’ve hit the nail on the head @pianoleo. I was selecting the note and then inputing the playing technique. Should remember to use more of the input caret.

As much as I’ve tried to find this Tucking Index you speak of, I can’t seem to see where it is… Oh, just found it. It’s in the properties panel when in Engrave mode.

Thanks for your help !! :smiley:

1 Like