Adding Note Ornaments to Score

Hi

I’ve just bought Dorico Elements. I’m having a lot of fun during my hobby time reproducing ABRSM Piano Grade 1 scores. I’d like to pay tribute to you and the Dorico team for such a fantastic product. I would welcome your advice. I’m trying to reproduce the ABRSM score ‘Aria in F’ which was part of the 2017-18 exam. I’ve attached a screenshot. How should I go about adding the double triplet ornament above bar 2 to show how the simplified trill is to be played?

Kind Regards

Rob

The easiest way would be to create an ossia staff above the piano, for the duration of the minim. You’ll get all 5 staff lines, rather than one, but that’s probably a good thing.

Select the minim, and then Edit or right-click > Staff > Creat Ossia Above. You might get an unwanted barline that joins to the main staves, but if you reduce the grid to a very small duration, you can bring in the side of the ossia, without affecting the notes.

I just tried it on something I’m working on:

Screenshot

Unfortunately you can’t add ossias in Dorico Elements, only in Pro.

I was then going to suggest exporting a graphics slice and importing it, but Elements probably can’t do that either…!

Thanks thats super helpful. I didn’t know this was called a Ossia Staff. It’s not a problem, but good to know I’m not missing something obvious. Rob.

Thanks thats super helpful. Rob.

You could still export a whole page as a PDF (with your ornament on it - even as a new document), and then use a vector graphics editor to crop and convert to SVG. Something like Affinity Designer, or Inkscape, or Illustrator.