Adjusting bar number size?

I’m working on a piece for bassoon and piano, and the bassoon staff has been reduced in size. Unfortunately the bar numbers are so small I can’t see them. Is there a way to adjust them. Alternately, if I can’t adjust the size is there a setting for system object position so that I can have them show over the piano part where they will be larger?

thanks

Have you experimented with Engrave menu > Font Styles > Bar Number Font settings? I would imagine changing the Font Size or (even more likely) the Relative/Absolute setting would help accomplish what you desire.

Thanks Derrek, that worked. Now if I could only get rid of the brackets.

Which brackets? Maybe posting a picture of your screen might help us helping you!

Here’s a pic, although for some reason this turned out to be the only instance of a bar# with brackets, and I can’t find a way to remove them.

The only way I could get brackets on a measure number was when it was a Rehearsal Number and brackets were explicitly chosen as an Engraving Option.

• Was this file by any chance imported (as XML) from another program that might have specified the brackets?
  • If you (temporarily) ask to display measure numbers on every measure (in Layout Options), do all of them have the brackets?

I just found out the problem. There was a broken bar across a page (which btw I hate) which was unintentional, hence the bracket to show the bar was split.

That’s nice to know. Thanks.

All change, it’s now in:

Engrave>Paragraph Styles>Bar Numbers (parts)
or
Engrave>Paragraph Styles>Bar Numbers (score)

What do bar numbers have to do with paragraphs? :confused:

It’s more that you can edit more aspects of paragraph styles, and it allows you to create entirely new styles for bar numbers if you like and use different styles in each layout. As often you want different bar numbers in scores vs parts.

1 Like

Font styles is a relic from the early days of Dorico’s development, and the team is willing to make as many items as possible migrate to paragraph styles, which is more complete, saveable, accessible through shortcuts… All in all, it’s a real progress to have them there now.

I just wanted to mention that the Edit Chord Symbol Component dialog box still defaults to font.barnumber. It seems like an odd choice to default to a Font Style that doesn’t actually exist anymore instead of font.chordsymbols.

It’s known of course :slight_smile:

1 Like