Adjusting Measures

Hi Larrance:

A friend of mine sent me a copy of a 112-page booklet which I downloaded and put into a loose-leaf notebook.

I’m still working with the FREE version of Dorico, 5 se, so I’m considering purchasing the Elements version, through Sweetwater, a store out in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They sell various music-related items.
Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 10.46.28 AM.png
Here is the screenshot. Just click onto it to make the image larger. I would like to be able to move Meas. 72 (piano part) closer in order to move the notes close together; also, I would like to know how to make the left/right margins smaller.

Thanks,

Minna_ Mansky

Thank you Lillie:

I may have to invest in Dorico ELEMENTS, since I’m still using the free version of Dorico 5 se.

Minna_Mansky

From the Dorico SE5 manual:

Changing page margins

You can change the page margins of each layout independently; for example, if you want wider margins for layouts in your project that will be spiral bound.

Procedure

1. Press Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-L to open Layout Options.
  2. In the Layouts list, select the layouts in which you want to change the page margins.

By default, the layout currently open in the music area is selected when you open the dialog. You can select other layouts by using the selection options in the action bar, clicking and dragging across multiple layouts, Shift-clicking adjacent layouts, and Ctrl/Cmd-clicking individual layouts.

1. In the category list, click Page Setup.
  2. In the Page Margins section, choose one of the following options for Page margins:
  • Same: All pages in the selected layouts have the same margins.
  • Different: Left and right pages in the selected layouts can have completely different margins.
  • Mirrored: Left and right pages in the selected layouts use the same margin values but they correspond to the inside/outside edges of pages.
  1. Optional: Change the margins by changing the values in the value fields.
  2. Click Apply, then Close.

The spacing in this system looks a bit strange, to be honest. Can you please share the Dorico project file itself? It’s unclear from the image alone why bar 72 is so widely spaced.

1 Like

Dear Lillie:

I am having difficulty in exporting the full score of my piece, as an original or as PDF. I will have to wait until Wednesday for further help from a friend with whom I have Mac/Dorico learning sessions.

mmm3rdpower@gmail.com

No need to export anything: simply upload the Dorico project file, that you work in, here.

We need to see the project file, rather than a PDF, in order to investigate what’s happening.

Hi Lillie:

I have attached my piece as you had instructed.

Hope you will have received it.

Thank you.

Minna_Mansky
mmm3rdpower@gmail.com

Mysterious Piece 4.02 pm Violin & Piano 6:11:2024.dorico (1.22 MB)

Thanks Minna – you’ve set a custom spacing ratio of 4, which is forcing half notes to take up an enormous amount of space relative to everything else.

I would recommend deactivating that, to revert to Dorico’s standard spacing ratio.

If you change that and nothing else, your music should immediately fit on 5 pages and look much more comfortably spaced.

On a side note, you’ve got lots of information added manually on page 1, in a way that doesn’t look like it’s quite what you want, e.g. the title about 5 times including “{@Mysterious Piece@]”.

Make sure you add information like titles and composer information in the Project Info dialog, so Dorico can show it correctly in all the right places (by using tokens that automatically show what you’ve entered in Project Info). This reduces the need for manual text entry on every page!!

1 Like

Hi Lillie & Larrance:

Glad that you received the copy of my “Mysterious Piece” and thanks for the constructive criticism.

I’m supposed to have a learning session with my friend Glenn on Wednesday, who is an expert at working with this software. I was using Sibelius; my main complaint is that Avid is difficult to reach, but I’ve been very satisfied with the Steinberg Forum and the people in it.

Will keep you posted on what happens.

Minna_Mansky

2 Likes