ADR dialogue font and limitation

hello!
after searching in the forum, i’m astonished that only 1 german guy reported this issue in ADR video windows :

• only 3 lines of text are allowed (it will automatically split a long sentence into 3 lines, BUT if you use carriage return then only 2 lines are working…)
  • no way to change the font name or font size ?

we have very long sentence for ADR… and even if the ADR panel does show it completely, the size is very small.

how to change this ? no preference or registry or trick ?

so PLEASE in next update include those 3 preferences (max lines + font size + font name) into the video tab of ADR settings.

fred

hello again!
since this issue will not be solved anytime soon, we go other route : simply add a 2nd monitor, on which we display video + ADR windows.
okay but :

1. windows scaling is bad, meaning that the 2nd screen-lower-resolution show bigger font size but blurried
  2. so we need :
  • use 2x identical monitors
  • how to increase the size of the ADR font inside it’s window ?
  1. or perhaps use a HDMI downscaler device
    http://atlona.com/pdf/manuals/AT-HD550_manual.pdf

fred

@fredsky2003 , any update on this issue? We also are having the same issue where the lines for each take is too long to fit into the video player in the default layout. I cannot believe there is still not a way to reposition and change font settings for ADR dialogues for the last 4 years.

We have to make a separate video with burned-in subtitles in Premiere before importing it into the Nuendo project, which sucks, because every change in dialogues requires you to export the video again! Please let me know if you know a better workaround for the issue.

This all depends on the size of the screening monitor/screen.
I kind of agree that more options would be welcome, but since I was closely involved when that feature was “build”, it was an impossible task to offer a few options without opening a can of worms eating resources at warpspeed.
So we stuck to what an ADR tool needs to do. ADR= lipsync replacing existing dialog.
Which means that per definition, you simply can not work with long text.

I know it is different for foreign language dubbing and Voice-Over dubbing.
And these are the areas where the problems start to pile up.
Here’s what we use in Belgium & France to dub:

SO the only advice I can give, is to cut up your long lines into smaller parts, so they display “in sync” with the speed you need to put them down to tape.

HTH
Fredo

@Fredo , sorry, I have just seen your response. I am glad to see someone from the product team. Game dialogues are arranged based on separate and independent files as opposed to timecodes as for movies. Individual files will be played by the engine as a response to some trigger. Some files have 3-4 sentences in it, so the actor has to read it in one take in a dubbing session. I am disappointed to see it is still missing in the latest release of Nuendo. ADR panel would be an excellent tool for our workflow if not for this limitation.

Can you please tell if an implementation of the feature is still problematic? Are we going to see basic formatting options for the video player subtitles any time soon? I myself is a software engineer, and understand how tightly coupled components can hurt the scalability of an application. I also understand an ADR workflow does not necessarily overlap with a dubbing workflow but compromising one big use case in favor of keeping the code undisturbed is such a wasted opportunity.

I would like to know what is the alternative Nuendo provides or going to provide for dubbing/vo workflows if this is not planned to be implemented at all.

@elnur I’m not sure this is actually possible (not behind my DAW computer right now). But wouldn’t it be possible to use 2 marker lanes. Lane 1: One with a multiple cycle markers (that make the complete set of the 3-4 lines you need to record) and an additional lane 2 with one cycle marker for the whole file (incl all the sentences in one cycle marker name/description/whatever).
You can then select all the needed cycle markers on lane 1 with the 3-4 separate lines, record that, than select Lane 2 at the end of the recording session and bounce with that lane for naming purposes?
Again not sure if it works like that but i think i used that for VO recording in v10 a few years ago. It worked quite well iirc.

@klfnk2020 , no it would not work. Because it is markers define the cues and the rehearse-record-review phases. If I use a secondary marker track to split the texts, then the ADR will see each fragment as a separate cue. I would be glad if you can share the details of your workflow.

Just thinking out loud. When Free Run and Show Secondairy markers are enabled, that should work, no?

Fredo

It should work with multiple markers correctly setup. I made a video to explain. It is a bit long and recorded with a bad mic, but it should show you how this works.ADR setup