ADR Routing

Hi all!

I´m new here an currently thinking about N7 to purchase for ADR-Jobs.

At the moment i get stuck in the routing for ADR purposes.

Here is what I would need:

Rehearse should play PME (Original Dialogue) only in the Studio and the recording-room (no prob, this works fine)

Record should play: MNE + Mic Signal in the Studio & nothing in the recording room (dubbing-Artist has no headphone)

Review should play MNE + all so far recorded dubbed artists in the studio and recording room.
And this is where I am hanging right now. The only option i have in adition is “other audio” where i cant find what this exactly means. In my situation it plays just everything in cluding the PME, MNE and all recorded artists…

How do I have to set up the VST connections and Control-room - mixer to solve this?

Another BIG question is:

How can I combine two following takes??

Thanks a lot in advance.

Frederic

Normaly I am used to DS-Taker-system or Euro-Contorler.

I don’t think you’ll find a better ADR tool.
Here’s your answer to your switching question.
Signal Switchboard.jpg
Anything you fancy.

Don’t get distracted by the “M&E” label at the bottom.
This is because my Cue 1 is named M&E.
So bottom row is handling the switching of your Cue’s 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. Independantly.

HTH

Fredo

Hi Fredo,

thx for your answer. But this does not answer my questions, as your setup won’t work for me.

1. My artist is not working with headphones (I don’t know where are ou located but for me in Germany, the dubbing-actors don’t want headphones due to 8h days and feeling free while they perform.)
  2. I still don’t understand what “Other Audio” means/does. It is also not described in the manual…
  3. My set-up is fine, except the “Review” mode as there I need only M&E and already recorded stuff (dubbed).

(M&E is also called sometimes IT-track and means everything except the actors dialogues) So there is no need for it in rehearse-mode. For this I always have the Mixed Version with the original dialogues.

FED-DS taker is the most reliable taker as I know but also quiet expensive… (standard system for studio-setup apron 12.000.-€)

The question how to combine 2 take numbers is quiet easy btw: just select both and then it will play/record/rehearse both takes, for anybody interested.

Another feature which is absolutely important for dubbing-sessions:
There should be the option to send the video twice, one time with overlays and streamers and a second one playing back transparent for the director. The directors need often to watch transparent to figure out if the dubbing/take/acting from the dubbing artist would work and what exactly is happening before/after the scene.
At the moment I think about having a slave-machine (old computer) hooked up via timecode to deliver the blank VID

Cheers and thx again!!

OK, what is the difference between a cua that you route to a headphone or a Cue that you route to a set of speakers.
Unless I misunderstand your question …

1. I still don’t understand what “Other Audio” means/does. It is also not described in the manual…

Any other tracks that aren’t routed to “Guide”, “M&E” and “Mic Signal” in the ADR Routing/switchboard setup.

1. My set-up is fine, except the “Review” mode as there I need only M&E and already recorded stuff (dubbed).

So, in the switchboard, in “Review”, you flag “M&E” and Other audio.
You can do this separately for the control room and for the Cue"'s (read: the “send/cue” to your talent speakers)

Another feature which is absolutely important for dubbing-sessions:
There should be the option to send the video twice, one time with overlays and streamers and a second one playing back transparent for the director.

Well, you said it yourself. You need two systems for that. Either they are both part of one system, or they are independant systems. Both in one system would per definition require two video outputs. So there is (almost) no difference in slaving a second machine.

HTH
Fredo

Thanks for your kind answer, Fredo

Yeah… when recording there is nothing to be played back in the recording room, unless one would want to re-record the PME or M&E / Mic via the speakers.

I understood that, but this sends also PME (or Guide) to the CUE. I assume this is a bug or a wrong setup on my side…

Yeah, thanks. I was hoping to work with desktop Video and be able to stream two times on the same machine, hooking up with ISC-MIDI sync. Will give that a try.

BTW, how do you perform ADR-Loop-record? At the moment my system ignores the pre/post-roll, when in loop (cycle) mode.
A lot of directors want to Loop the takes. Any solutions to that? This is also a basic main request for dubbing - sessions…

Besides all of that everything works flawless and I really like the concept. Although the routing is somewhat strange if one comes from Protools & Logic. Would love to have the possibility to route from/to wherever I want to. The concept of Busses and so on is a little bit limited.

Thanks again for your help!!

Fredi

I highly recommend you start a thread asking for recommendations on how to achieve whatever routing-goal you’re now not achieving, or are confused about. I think there is something to be said for both PT’s and Nuendo’s ways of going about things. Right now I’m leaning towards Nuendo being the better app as far as routing is concerned. Just have to put yourself in a slightly different headspace so to speak.

Fredl;

You lost me copletely.
In your first post you ask about specific playback routings/switches, and then you say that you don,'t need them.
Either you haven’t tried/played with the ADR tool, and you don’t understand how it works, or one of us is hitting a language barrier.

The switchboard allows you to playback any signal, in any room, during rehearse, record and/or playback.
I honestly don’t think there is any combination that can’t be achieved just by flagging the appropriate boxes.

Are you using the ADR transport controls?

Fredo

Fredo, I think we lost each other: I think I understand everything right well and yes, I played with the ADR Tool and most of my questions are solved. I mentioned that in my post above… ! So where is the problem? And I tired to be gentle and said thank you for your “kind” answer…

And besides I had another question, I posted above, nobody reacted on…:

Just to make it clear, I am thankfull for answers, but I´m also experienced and have a good understanding about routing and recording/mixing/ADR and so on. Be it in Protools HD, Logic or big studios with SSL and Neve (including tapemachines and dash-machines). So if I ask for help means that before I did read the manual, tried out several setups and then I decide to go to a place like here and ask.

If anybody is interested:
My fault was that after I made the whole setup (VST connections and Studio) I did not restart nuendo. Believe it or not, the ADR tool played back all session tracks as soon I switched on “other audio”. This behavior was gone after restarting Nuendo… :slight_smile:

I hear you, MattiasNYC and yes I will go on trying out things and then will do a seperate post about my questions/thoughts…
The headspaces I am dwelling in are already complex as I work often in different studios with different concepts… lol. :slight_smile:

Cheers, Fredi

Fredi,

It wasn’t clear for me that you actually got it working.
Since the questions kept coming, and I didn’t spot a “got it working now”, I assumed that you were still in the dark.

Sorry 'bout that.
Fredo