Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate your input. I’ll try that F# Major for sure, I can see it sprinkled in a few parts to give it a little more variation and character.
The vocal was a little trickier since we were only using one word. We tried to give it a little variation on the chorus by changing the beat in which it started. Likewise, making it sound synthetic and robotic is something we are still working on. It’s a tug of war between how much can you process the vocal without making it sound blurry and inaudible and at the same time making it sound precise and calculated.
Unfortunately I know what you are referring to when you talk about the crispy punchiness that its missing. We are running on a limited budget, so we have to record everything through our NI Audio 6 Pre’s, which we feel is hurting us pretty bad. It’s specially noticeable in the high end, it just lacks those delicious harmonics you can get with a nicely distorted guitar. It makes it a lot harder to mix and master, compared to other songs which we’ve made solely with VSTi’s.
Right on man, haha! Glad you found it refreshing and enjoyed it
Thanks for the comment and the input. Mastering is something we are still working on, its a completely different skill we feel. This song was specially hard to master (compared to others we’ve made) because of the way we had to record the live guitars and bass. Hopefully we’ll be upgrading in this department soon (if we win the lottery this Friday )
Oh, and the kick drum at the end was a very nicely sampled kick with a very compressed reverb tail, a little distortion and a little delay.