After upgrade to 5.1.30: did I just lose yesterdays work?

Hi,

Worked on a chart yesterday, saved and finished. But thought that I perhaps should download and install the 5.1.30 upgrade which might take some time. So I did, opened the latest version of the chart. Dorico announced that it will convert the file to 5.1.30 which was successful, checked it, saved again and went to bed. Now when starting D, the activation manager pops up and wants me to reactivate Dorico which I did also successfully. Now to work. And this is what happens. Tried to restart Dorico, no change. Restart the computer, no changes.

Tried some other files, they are converted to 5.1.30 and opens fine. But the one that was converted last night after the upgrade won’t open.

Any ideas? (I also noticed that all my latest files were not in the “hub” or the Open recent menu selection, only the 13 “default” projects shown, this has never happened before).

That does sound weird. A simple update shouldn’t require reactivation, and shouldn’t reset the recent files list.

However, if other files are opening and saving without problem after updating, then that suggests it’s a problem with the file, for some reason.

Create a diagnostic report from the Help menu, and post it here. One of the team will have a look at it.

I presume you have a backup of your document from yesterday?

Normally I finish every working day with backups of today’s work but it was missed yesterday; I guess the idea to end with an upgrade confused my routines :frowning:

Here is the result from “Help | Create diagnostics report”.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.1 MB)

Also now discovered that a sound setting (ASIO driver) had changed. Easy to change back so no problems with that, but perhaps a clue? A little more interested in the file that went corrupt though…

Ouchs discovering more things here. Now I can’t apply accidentals on notes while in edit mode. I remember that I changed some general setting so that I can enter a note and then select accidental, now I can’t find this setting.

I wonder how many other settings that are lost…

None of this is standard. Hope you (with some help from @dspreadbury and @Ulf) can figure out what happened and set it right.

The release notes state that Steinberg’s ASIO audio driver for Windows was updated – but that shouldn’t have changed whether you had it selected or not.

Can you describe exactly what steps you are taking to apply accidentals on notes?

Select the spot in the score, shift-N, enter the note with a letter, then press “-” or “=” or “0” (nothing happens here now, I need to leave the input mode for this to work).

Applying the accidental after note entry is how I am used to work, and I know there are other ways of working and that there is some setting somewhere…

Do you have this set in Preferences > Note Input and Editing?

If all your preferences have been lost, then you could restore the preference files from your backup.

You will find them at:

C:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 5\

Ah thanks there it was and yep now it was changed to “Before inputting note”. I will try the preferences restore later today.

Ok, I see the folder, and I guess we are talking about preferences.xml. How do I use it for restore?

Restore your backup of this file from yesterday, overwriting the new one. You may want to check the other files in that location, too, like the Engraving Option defaults, and Playback Templates.

Hm ok then I misunderstood you. I have never backed-up this directory. Typically I only backup project files…?

Ah. Well, in which case you’ll just have to check over all your prefs and settings manually.

It’s a lot easier to let the computer back everything up automatically.

I wasn’t even aware that Dorico preferences could disappear when upgrading. Now I know better, the hard way :frowning:

TBH, I’ve never heard of it happening before.

But, as my grandmother used to say: any file without a backup is waiting to be lost.

1 Like

Well now you have. Of course I always backup my own work and have always done. But system configuration files…hm, perhaps not so often :-/

This doesn’t help your situation, but I’ve never experienced this either. My settings have always stayed put, and I’ve installed… maybe a dozen updates?

Mmm, I started at version 3 I think so there have been fairly many updates here as well. Not sure how big of a problem the lost preferences is, however I am kind of keen to open yesterday’s file :-/

1 Like

Check the Backup Projects folder inside your Dorico Projects folder in your user’s Documents folder, and you should find a number of recent backups of the project you’re unable to open. Hopefully you will find that the most recent backup in there will open with no problems.