Aftertouch

Does Dorico have any aftertouch capability?

What exactly do you mean, John?

With some MIDI keyboards (like the Yamaha DX7) one can apply additional pressure to a key after the initial attack to affect (modulate) the sound. Presumably that is what John is asking about, whether Dorico can sense it or control it via a CC lane.

Dorico doesn’t provide an editor for aftertouch, certainly.

Thanks, Derrek and Daniel—Derrek presumes correctly. I’m working on and off (more off these days, since I’ve finally figured out how much work this will be) on an emap for XSamples Extended Edition Strings, which have an extensive variety of great-sounding solo string samples, including sul pont, flautando, body strokes, rosin noises, etc. One difficulty I’ve encountered is that the Kontakt programming for many of the instruments shows inconsistencies as to which CCs control which parameters. In some cases, AT is used to alter vibrato intensity, so I wondered whether Dorico can access that controller. It seems not.

John,

I did a search on aftertouch (AT) and found a couple of references that you might find helpful:

and

Although Dorico cannot respond to AT, if you wanted to add it as a controller lane, the articles above might be helpful.

I have seen references to AT being sent on CC#4 and CC#5, but other references said that AT was specific to input devices and not a standard MIDI CC but that it could (as in HALion–and that may only be the full HALion-- or Kontakt) be channeled into one.

(Ironically, I do not use AT. I just recognize it since it affects notes I play on my DX7 when I monitor on separate speakers the notes I am inputing into notation software.)

Ooh, very helpful indeed! Thanks so much, Derrek!

Garritan JABB uses AT to control vibrato intensity too, but I haven’t figured out how to access it in Dorico. Did you ever figure out how to use this?

Hi Fred.
I understand that there’s no support for AT in Dorico at present, so I built a small utility with pd which streams incoming CC data into AT. I haven’t used it for a while, but it did seem to be working. I remember there’s a caveat involving doubled data or something—it’s been a while.

Alternatively, controller CC#4 can be used to control vibrato.