Agony!

How about I bet you I did install the IEEE 1394 Legacy driver! My Edirol FA-101 wouldn’t install without reverting to the older, IEEE Legacy driver. Otherwise, the installer would just hang and never finish the driver installation. Thanks for the input, though!

:neutral_face:

It’s an ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16.

Firewire is WAY more prone to trouble than USB. With lots of excellent USB interfaces on the market, there is really no need to bother with FW anymore. I tested my UFX in USB and FW mode: there is NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. So, even though I have a FW port on my master machine, I keep my interface hooked to a USB port.

I’m in a dilemma as to whether I should go for an RME UCX or RME HDSPe System with the Multiface II interface. RME claims that their USB/FireWire drivers offer “similar” or “on par” performance to the PCIe interface. What I really need is very stable drivers with a card that gives Cubase very low ASIO/CPUsage. Today, I installed a brand-new FireWire card with a Texas Instruments chipset. It features two 800 and a single 400 port. So far, the Edirol FA-101 is working with Cubase in the new system, but I know and I want to upgrade to a better, more professional interface as soon as possible. I do not have a mixer; my stems always end up in the good hands of a renowned studio (Tony Maserati’s) anyway. We usually end up running the stems through their wonderful outboard gear. I just need a card that will do heavy software processing…ideas?

Hi FShkreli,

I’m very happy with my Echo Layla 3G PCI card which is/was reasonably priced and works (for me) as well as my previous old RME DIGI96/8 card, actually at lower latencies. Their drivers have been very solid.

Check out the Echo products you might find something there that suits your needs.

Cheers,

Mauri.

Whatever audio interface you use, you’ll still find it easy to construct a Project that will overload the computer.

I’ll bet there’s scope for using Send effects rather than individual Insert effects. For grouping tracks and applying an effect to the Group. You’ll still be able to make the music you want.

I would definitely recommend the UCX. Way less headaches than with a PCIe card. The drivers are the best in the world, no exaggeration. Never had a single issue with my UFX and Babyface (the drivers are essentially the same.)