Agony!

Imagine this:

You spend $3,000 on a new workstation and the same CPU problems persist. I custom-built a new PC from the ground up to use with Cubase 7.0.6 64-bit. Check out the statistics of the new set-up below:

2x Intel Xeon E5 Processor(s)
32GB Quad-Channel RAM
128GB Samsung SSD
4TB Seagate Secondary Drive
4TB Hitachi Third Drive

My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
My DAW is [obviously] the 64-bit version of Cubase 7.
Nearly all my plug-ins are 64-bit.
My sound-card is an Edirol FA-101 FireWire Audio Interface.

I open up a project that contains around 252 tracks (MIDI, Audio, Instrument, FX Channel, Group & Folder tracks). I realize this is a lot, but I also compose cinematic scores.

I still suffer from ASIO overloads! What’s going on here? I checked Steinberg’s optimizaition guidelines and I did everything the guide advised (ie.; disabled HyperThreading, C-States, Intel SpeedStep Technology, etc.). In addition, I have activated the Steinberg Audio Power Scheme and I have set the audio priority to “Boost.” Of course, I activated ASIO-Guard.

What can I do? Please help…

I think good step would be to contact support directly, and go through details with them.

Try these three steps:

Disable every single bluetooth and WLAN hardware that you might have.
Get rid of Windows Media Center (somewhere in control panel/software/windows functions).
Disable CPU core parking (there’s a freeware that does this, but I don’t remember the name).

If this doesn’t help, try a different firewire interface. Firewire can be quite a bi.tch for audio.

Be sure to:
Use a TI based FW card for the Edirol
Use the latest drivers for the Edirol
You check and confirmed overall system stability with the Windows performance monitor or a DPC tool

I open up a project that contains around 252 tracks

sounds like a lot of processing going on there,(very dependant of VST fx And VSTi used), maybe its just too much for your system ?

also try this tool to check any DPC problems in your system,

i disabled lot of drivers and hardware according to this tool diagnostics to be able to work smoothly with my laptop and my MR816 firewire sound card,(although it doesn’t have the recommended TI chipset firewire port)

This interface is discontinued and would not (due to age) support MMCSS unlike more modern Roland interfaces.

I would recommend you to try any of the RME PCIe cards, from a friend or someone else. Nothing beats a card directly put into the bus with a good driver. It may well be the solution for you.

Actually - try re-enabling hyperthreading. That’s an old tweak that doesn’t apply so much any more, IRC.

Raise your buffer size…!

I am afraid that I have to agree that the Edirol soundcard is the problem.
I too was having problems with CPU overload until I abandoned the firewire interface and bought an RME Fireface UC. Yes USB - who would have believed it but it sorted the problem. RME are noted for their ability to write good drivers. Actually I was going to buy a PCi card but got speaking to the support team at RME and this was their suggestion for my system. Give them a ring, they are very helpful. Good luck. It is very frustrating setting up a new system.

I realise this reply is not going to help that much bu about 3 months ago I changed from a Mackie Firewire interface to a Steinberd UR824 and even though i didn’t too many problems with the firewire the difference between that and the USB was huge, I am able to run the 824 down to 64 samples, although I don’t really need to. I also did see “Asio spikes with the Firewire”, and I haven’t had any sinceI changed. So I think the guys are probably right, your problem is almost certainly down to 1)The interface 2) Firewire and 3)One or 2 of the other tweaks people have mentioned, although with the machine you’ve bought(very powerful)these are unlikely to make a huge difference.

Hope you get it sorted, I’m sure you will

RME with their good drivers make a difference. Definately a good tip.

Last time I’ve realized this was, when my Firefaces were on location/out of the studio and I’ve been trying to do some edits on a full mix with about 60 tracks/40 groups or FX channels through my Line6 UX2 USB Interface (more or less it’s just my PodFarm dongle). Didn’t perform well, dropouts & stuttering even at high latencies.

ditch the edirol card ,as you have built yourself a very nice DAW you don’t want to be running an old interface .It’s not your DAWs problems and it’s not a Cubase problem it’s a … problem

I think you should invest in a more professional audio interface. That’s your weakest link. Consider any one of the RME line of audio interfaces, even the more affordable Babyface ($700) would be a huge step forward compared to what you have. But if you’re doing orchestral mockups, I suggest you go for UCX or UFX.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I have tried all of your newest tips and, to my surprise, has brought the ASIO time usage to about 72-75% with 252 tracks unfrozen. But the problem is that the drive won’t put out sound sometimes and I’ve found that to be a hardware incompatibility. For the moment, can anyone recommend a budget PCIe card until I get a more, permanent card in the future? Obviously, I’ve spent a lot of money and need to curb back a litle.

Hi, I 'm interested in your buffer settings and if you are still recording new tracks.

When you do not record any tracks anymore it would be good advice to go to bigger buffer sizes as you do not need very short latencies, also do some copy test with your harddrive and ensure that it throughputs data consistently.

I’ve set my buffer size to the highest it goes; I’ve been recording all my music in other sessions and dropping the MIDI information in the main, huge session. Any ideas on a budget PCI/PCIe card?

No such beast that I know of, if you expect professional results.

RME PCIe products are just as expensive as their USB/FW line or more.

Hi again FShkreli

I had some other thoughts here, what motherboard are you using? The reason I ask is there were issues, and quite large one’s with certain Firewire chips, the recommended chip was I think the Texas instruments one, some others had serious problems with audio as i recall.

Cheers

Dave

I bet you’re NOT using the Windows FireWire legacy drivers… especially needed for that old Edirol interface!

Change your FW drivers from the Windows 7 defaul to the LEGACY drivers and get back to us.

Go to the firewire card in the device manager, “update driver”, “browse computer”, “let me choose from list” and choose the one that says (legacy).