AKAI MPD 218 "Ίκαρος" by ggmanestraki, Surface Editor script, work in progress

Akai_MPD 218 Ikaros.midiremote (20.4 KB)

You also need this MPD 218 preset.
mpd218incdecfullbands.zip (391 Bytes)

If you want to build the preset yourselves, the assignments are the below:

Knobs: Mode: INC/DEC 2, MIDI Channel: 15, CC: 3-20
Pads: Type: Note, MIDI Channel: 10, MIDI Note: 36-83, Aftertouch: Any setting, Trigger Mode: Momentary

Note: Since PAD BANK A is reserved for playing VSTis, the first note of the PAD on BANK B should be Note Number 52, and the one on the last PAD of BANK C Note Number 83.

Concept

• The MPD 218 is laid out as 18 knobs and 32 pads. We must change banks with the CTRL BANK and PAD BANK buttons on the MPD 218 ourselves.
  • The first PAD BANK (A), is not assigned at all, as I use it for finger drumming. In the picture above, the populated pad bank is bank B, and the empty one is bank C.
  • The pages are set up as hubs that take you to other pages, so that the knobs’ assignments change accordingly.

The Pages

The default page is the main Hub. Apart from Previous Track/Next Track, Mute/Solo, Edit Channel Settings/Edit Instrument and Read/Write Automation for the selected track, there are currently 4 page change buttons for the time being that take us to the relevant pages.

Leftmost pad on top row: Selected Channel EQ Hub
Second: Selected Channel Sends Hub
Third: Faders in 18 Channel Banks
Last: Send X level in 18 Channel Banks

The underlying structure is this.

EQ Lo

EQ Lo

EQ Lo Mid

EQ Mid Hi

EQ Hi

Sends 1-4

Sends 1-4

Sends 5-8

Cue Sends

Mixer Levels (Bank 18)

Mixer Levels (Bank 18)

Mixer Pan (Bank 18)

Send 1 (Bank 18)

Send 1 (Bank 18)

Send 1 (Bank 18)

Send 2 (Bank 18)

Send 3 (Bank 18)

Send 4 (Bank 18)

Send 5 (Bank 18)

Send 6 (Bank 18)

Send 7 (Bank 18)

Send 8 (Bank 18)

EQ Pages

Pads

Top Row of Pads: EQ Band 1-4 On/Off
Second Row: Low Cut On/Off, Phase Flip, Peak Reset, High Cut On/Off
Third Row: Band Selector for the Knobs. The centerpiece of this 4-page hub. Those 4 buttons switch between the nearly identical pages EQ Lo, EQ Lo Mid, EQ Mid Hi and EQ Hi, so that the Knobs in bank B control the proper band. If you hit the pad for the band you are already controlling, it opens/closes the Edit Channel Settings window instead.

Knobs

1: Low Cut Frequency
2: High Cut Frequency
3: Low Cut Shape
4: High Cut Shape
5: Gain
6: Pan
7: Band Frequency
8: Band Gain
9: Band Q
10: Band Shape Type

Channel Sends Pages

Pads

Starting from the top left, we have 4 pairs of pads. Each pair is an On/Off and Pre/Post of one Send. This means the two top rows will control Sends 1-4, or Sends 5-8, or the 4 Cues, depending on which pad we have pressed on the third row.

Knobs

1 - 4: Levels of Sends 1-4, 5-8, Cues, depending on the page selected from the 3rd pad row.

Note: Bank B Knobs 1-4 control Cue Sends Pan. I couldn’t reveal this parameter for the regular sends.

Mixer Levels (Bank 18)

Knobs

1-18: Levels of channels 1-18, or Pan of channels 1-18 or Levels of Channels 1-18 to Sends 1-8, depending on which page we are on.

Pads

Top Row: Mixer Levels (Bank 18), Mixer Pan (Bank 18), Previous Bank, Next Bank
Second Row: To Sends 1 page

Sends Pages

Knobs

1-18: Send X level for channels 1-18, depending on which pad is pressed.

Pads

Top Left: Control Sends (1, 2, 3, 4)
Second Row: Control Sends (5, 6, 7, 8)

Notes

• Almost all pages have a “Return to Default Page” pad assigned to the bottom right pad of BANK C.
  • I would very much want to make some pages for navigation via knobs and applying PLE presets or DOP favorites via PADS. Unfortunately, for the former, I have not found a way to incorporate commands to knobs yet via the surface editor, and I haven’t got the skills to recreate this kind of page layouts in the script editor. For the latter, I think I would have to somehow pack my PLE presets and DOP favorites and include them as well, which I’d rather avoid, in case people lose their own, or have them overwritten.
1 Like