All 3rd Party VST 3 plugins today refuse to load? How to I force a VST3 rescan?

I’m taking a really wild guess here, but is there a chance that this is some plugin wanting to to get permission through the Windows firewall? I got some prompts while starting Cubase 12, and allowed the Windows Firewall access for Cubase 12 on local networks.

This Windows Firewall prompt tends to show up after new software installations.

Can’t see it…my Cubase 11 pro has never had an issue.

I’ll try another fresh install. From my memory, I did allow the firewall prompts but not sure if the private network checkbox was ticked or not

I have not gone to 12 yet. This started happening me about 3 weeks ago. A system restart would usually mean the next boot would be ok for the day so I was living with it. But last week I went to studio to mix and from the morning to the evening I tried every hack and could not get Cubase to load VST3. Eventually I found I could move plugins back into the VST3 folder 1 by 1 but certain plugins would break it all again. The next day I kept moving plugins in one by one and I could load Cubase ok. I kept moving them back into the VST3 folder - now even the ones that were tripping out the loading (Sonnox plugins, Soothe 2 etc) and it all seemed to work. The next morning I booted and loaded the first project - ALL vst 3 not loaded. I rebooted the machine and restarted… VST 3 loaded. … this cycle is continuing but I cant find a sequence of events yet

I think it has to be to do with a Windows update. I’m on Windows 10 (will check the build tomorrow).

OK dont know why or how but I left my cubase 12 for a few days…hoping for an update patch.
Today I thought id have another look at it to see if I could get it to work.
I clicked on the icon…and it loaded up and worked fine.
Im guessing the server must have been full so CUBASE couldn’t verify the license on line. Weird I had all the issue with the plugins…they just cured themselves. lol

My advice…try again…

Update: Still not working :confused:

Tried another two fresh installs.

Nothing seems to be triggering the scanning of VST3s.

Tried with disabled preferences during startup and also tried removing any user profiles. Although I could get VST2s to rescan every time after a fresh install, VST3s just won’t scan.

When checking the plugin-in manager and sorting it by VST Version, you can clearly see that all stock Steinberg VST3s load properly, followed by all my 3rd party VST2s. (See screenshot)

The default plugin paths for VST3 are where my VST3 plugins reside (See screenshot)

As for now, everything works as expected on C11.5. So work can still go ahead but its only fair I’m more than excited to try out C12 :smiley:

Hoping for a fix soon! In the meantime, I’ll keep trying!

The strange thing is I have this exact problem with Cubase 11 which had been working fine until a week back. I’m pointing the finger at Windows Update causing some sort of access issues to Program Files / Common Files / VST3

2 Likes

Absolutely screwed. Can’t load projects for mix tweaks.

You must not add the VST3 plug-in path in the VST 2 Plug-in Path Settings. Please remove it. Maybe this is the cause.

No I don’t have that path in the plugin manager. I realise Cubase uses Program Files / Common Files / VST3 by default.

It was already there by default for some reason? I’ve removed it and tried rescanning. As of now, they still don’t scan.

It could be a windows update issue then? What build are you on mart? I’m on Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042, 1526)

Windows 10.0.19044 is my build

This morning Cubase wanted to scan all VST2 plugins. 15 minutes later…

Ok so your win ver is slightly more updated than mine. I’ll try to avoid win updates for a while (although windows has its own mind)

The last thing I want is the same issue on my C11.5… I would absolutely be screwed if it did!

Hope it fixes itself or we get a patch of some sort soon!

and no issue so far this morning after that with all VST3 plugins operational.

1 Like

Same thing here. I’ve been at it for more than 48 hours. It is such a pain with Cubase. First, it takes forever and tons of nerve breaking hours on forae and everywhere looking for help since all DAW upgrades just happen in minutes or seconds, but with Cubase, that’s an experience you only wish to have just once in a lifetime. Still after taking days and sometimes weeks to finally have the upgrade to install, all sorts of things happen when you start the program.

This is a lost-case company. I’ve been with them since 1998. I do use another software since 5 years instead. But I keep on giving them money for free on upgrades even though it’s a more painful experience than anything you would imagine in the 21st century.

I’d love to know why Cubase 12 freezes on vst3 initializing, without giving the option (like in previous versions) to skip potential problematic plugins not compatible with the program. This is just nonsense.

3 Likes

Stick my neck out here and say something negative about Steinberg-I know that’s frowned on but I share your experiences; I’ve spent, w/o exaggeration, hundreds of hours tinkering with software issues, linked to the DAW experience. I believe it’s the rush to market phenomena where moves made by a competitor or Microsoft or Apple, drive Steinberg to innovate. However, the new innovations are not beta tested. We the consumer become the beta testing audience hence the need to forbear on upgrades. Steinberg works against that with pricing though as skipping a paid upgrade makes the next upgrade much more expensive.
Finally all issues boil down Yamaha corporate managers who have no concern for musicians struggling with their poorly built and sloppily designed products. Especially out of luck is the home enthusiast who does not access to technical assistance. As long as Elton John and other celebrities can be seen with Yamaha products, management is happy.

Ok. This was what was causing my issue. Fixed :+1:

2 Likes

Hello
I just re-installed the whole PC (Windows/Cubase/Waves/Nexus) and have same issue.

The projects won’t load Nexus VST III and/or Waves plugins which are in VST 3 folder.

Does anybody solved this issue?

You should try updating Waves. The Waves Shell I have listed under VST3 is 13.4. You have 13.0. You could also try the Verify License and Refresh License procedures from Waves Support:

Not sure about Nexus: I’m not familiar with it, but maybe check to see if there’s an update.

1 Like