All plugin instances (of type) disappearing

I have been working on an old project recently, it was created I believe before VST3 versions of Slate Mix rack existed so despite having the latest versions installed it is using the VST2 version.

For reasons unknown every single instance of Slate Mix Rack disappeared in this project one day (about 10 instances). I have been working on the project daily and neither my OS or Cubase version has changed in months.

I have been using Cubase since Cubase VST and have never seen anything like this. Unfortunately I had saved the project before noticing and lost a whole load of automation. I’m on version 12.0.70.464 running on a Silicon M2 Mac 12.2.1 OS.

I contacted Slate and they are adamant that Cubase is at fault and it’s because of using unsupported VST2 according to them.

Considering no other plugin, including theirs has done this i find it an unlikely explanation. What do you all think?

Hi,

Cubase 12 is still fully supporting VST2 on Windows, Mac Intel and Mac M in Rosetta mode.

I don’t know, why did all the plug-in instances disappear. Do you have an older version of the project available by any chance?

I have managed to restore the losses but it took a while, the bothersome thing is a I managed to work on a short section for hours without realising the problem (which was elsewhere in the project mainly) so I actually had to patch those changes into a previous version, thankfully I created a new version on each session so it could have been a lot worse.

The only thing that was potential unusual that day was my internet was playing up, my suspicion is a licensing routine went berserk but that is just speculation.

So I have Rosetta mode turned off but VST2 plugins have been working fine for me for over a year btw. Slate say they shouldn’t be working at all, can you shed some light on to this?

Cubase 12 has never supported vst2 when Rosetta is turned off. I would guess you have been using Rosetta but recently turned it off, so your vst2 plugins are now unavailable.

Slate should have provided automatic replacement of vst3 versions for vst2 versions, so if you have the vst3 versions installed, those should automatically now be used in your projects that previously used the vst2 versions. If Slate failed to provide support for that automatic replacement, that is a problem you should take up with them.

Nope I turned off Rosetta over a year ago, and by in large my VST2 plugins have been working. Some don’t load and some load but have no gui but the Slate ones have been working perfectly.

Don’t take my word for it, try it yourself. You’ll see that it is quite literally impossible to use vst2 plugins in Cubase12 when Rosetta is off.

I am literally using Cubase 12 on a silicon mac right now with Rosetta not turned on running VST2 plugins, I don’t know what to tell you.

See for yourself

If you want to verify which architecture you’re running, see the “Kind” shown in the activity monitor.

Ok so I turned Rosetta on then off again, and now it seems to be not loading VST2 plugins, so I guess the get info panel was lying to me.

However this doesn’t explain how the Mix Rack instances disappeared. I have been running in Rosetta mode the whole time and the project had both VST2 and VST3 instances that totally disappeared, no warnings just gone.