Am I recording 16-bit or 24-bit?

Hi guys, I have a mkII UR22 and would like to make sure if I’m recording at 16-bit or 24-bit. I’ve set my sample rate to 44.1kHz, buffer size to 512 samples. I use FL Studio as DAW and there I also set to 44.1Hz on audio settings, but in both interfaces, I didn’t set anything related to bit depth as far as I’m concerned, so I don’t know what is the result of my recordings. How can I check this out?

@Vitor,

44.1 kHz for your UR22 is a standard choice for Sample Rate. Personally, I use Low Latency mode with a Buffer Size of 256 Samples.

With Cubase, the file recording format is set to 44.1 kHz, Bit Depth 32 bit float and the file type is Wave format.

24 bit is also a great choice.

In fact, all these choices are very personal, it’s up to you.

1 Like

Never used FL Studio, but managed to find this:

https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/envsettings_audio.htm

Scroll down to “bit depth”… Looks like it will have to be set in the MacOS or Windows general settings, which I find very strange. But that’s probably how FL Studio does things.

1 Like

If you used Cubase or Nuendo, you would only have to click on the recorded audio event, and the info line would immediately tell you everything about the recorded audio, including sample rate and bit depth. :disguised_face: Anyway, FL Studio has to have some way of displaying info of events inside the project.

@eirik_myhr,

Thanks, I’ll take a look later and update this topic.

Also, maybe this is a trivial question, but do DAWs convert the bit depth of an audio track by default? Let’s say my audio file is 16-bit and my DAW is operating at 24-bit, when I upload this file, will it become a 24-bit through the DAW’s settings or it continues 16-bit?

Yes, DAWs automatically convert the bit depth.
However, your DAW does not run on 24 bit but at least on 32bit float (or even 64 bit float) internally. The bit resolution at which files get recorded is independent of the internal resolution of the audio engine of your DAW.

1 Like

As far as I remember:
Default setting is 24bit with 44.1 kHz.
Recommended file format is broadcast wave to enable meta-data embedding.

As far as I can find related information, FL records always with 32bit float. But I’m not really sure, because it is not mentioned explicitly.

Not in general. It depends on the settings and the DAW you are using.
Cubase and some others can leave the bit depth of samples untouched until they get edited. But most of us set the option to convert the files to the project format.

It is different for the sample rate. Here is the default to match the project sample rate.

A common mistake is here, that people set the options to not convert anything and tick the box, don’t ask again.
This leads to many problems with playback speed or pitch changes. It is better to convert files to project settings.

But this is valid for the files the DAW is creating only.

It is different for the internal calculations the DAW is performing on the audio signals. That is what @Johnny_Moneto is referring to.

Again, it depends on the DAW and it’s settings.
Even if the DAW is writing 32bit float to the disk, the files can contain only the converted signal from the audio device, with some LSB data added.

I’m sure FL Studio will convert the files to the desired bit depth and sample rate on import, using high quality algorithms with dithering if necessary.

2 Likes

I never said that the default setting was 32 bit float, but rather that all these choices are very personal. These are my preferences. Everyone can make the choices they want based on their needs. Cubase offers many possibilities, but I don’t know for FL Studio.

1 Like