AMD Ryzen 9 x3950x amazing build

I always find it a bit nerve-wracking building a DAW PC unless I can find reports of others using exactly the same components without issue, because if you have problems after buying everything and building it, it can be difficult to identify which part is causing the problem and by the time you’ve done that it might be difficult to persuade the retailer to allow you to return/exchange it.

Is anyone aware of any issues with using USB audio interfaces with the Asrock 570X Extreme or the ASUS Prime x570-P or is it only old PCI cards that are known to be problematic? I haven’t bought a USB AI yet but I probably will when I build my DAW as I think external interfaces make sense as they avoid the risk of picking up electrical noise from inside the PC, provided of course that using USB rather than an internal interface doesn’t have any downsides that outweigh the benefits, like higher latency.

Everything is working 100% with this for me, no issues at all with USB 2, 3 and 3.1. I am using an external 2TB for Song backups, which I have hooked up to a further backup via dropbox. All sync perfectly. Also using this drive for video etc and is good.
Once I chose an Asrock 570x Extreme MB everything has worked with no issues. The previous issues were with Asus support with Firewire. Asrock are 100% in support with audio according to Scan computers and they are right from my experience.

I want to build a machine with 3950x .My main purpose is for cinematic composing with large Kontakt Vsti…what’s ur option as u are already on 3950x?

It’s well worth it and cuts out my original idea to networking between machines because of the huge CPU power. I also do film and pop music without any issues now with the CPU and buffer latency…
Worth it for sure

St331 would you please let me know if you had any issues with the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master?

I am planning a new build, and this thread is changing my mind about the Asus Rog X570 Crosshair 8 Formula at $880 CDN,
to a different motherboard. I’ve been doing all my builds since the 90’s, and having studied electronics for over 4 years
always helps a bit, but because everything is constantly changing, I feel like I know nothing. That being said, my builds
last 8 to 10 years, depending on how much I spend.

My 52 channel RME and my UAD 1 are great, but need a PCI to PCIe adaptor, and if Asus is not responding to a proper BIOS
update, the Gigabyte Aorus Master would be my next choice.

I do prefer the connecting panel and overall construction of the Gigabyte Aorus Master versus the Asrock Extreme4.

Since your post is from February 2020, now towards the end of July you may have some info as to how your system is working.

John

Morning John
The system is working well with my FIREWIRE card. This post is mainly about FireWire not working on other boards. If you don’t use FireWire I’m unable to comment, if you do use it then you’ll get support with asrock. Asrock do support specifically music systems and UAD,.
If you have doubt on all this, Scan Computers are your best bet in chatting to about their latest builds in music systems and issues etc. They have a dedicated DAW testing department there.

Morning and thanks Jouleskeys
Both my 52 Channel RME and UAD 1 are PCI (not PCIe), and from what I have seen around,
most X570 boards are heaving trouble with that. I was going to purchase two PCIe to PCI adapters.

So I am on standby on ordering parts, and would love to know if st33l has his system
working fine with the Aorus Master.

I still have the flexibility to go Intel, but I would love to see the new, soon coming Samsung 980 Pro
work under PCI 4 at 6500MB/s.

@jdsstudios , during my mission in fixing the upgrade that worked, I came across plenty of info on the discontinued PCI slot problem. The only workaround I saw were things like this: We make parts for IT & A/V professionals that connect, convert, extend, split & switch | United Kingdom

However, be aware that high profile PCI cards will have fitting issues internally as they’re too big with the extender, resulting in the slots then being too short (check out some videos on youtube about that, as I remember there was a guy in his studio trying hard to cut his case up, which was a dangerous, major mission. He then realised the cards didnt work with the extender :unamused: ). Alternative methods are external PCI slots which Startech do as you can see in the link, though in the £300 range or cut your case so the card will fit. Low profile cards I don’t think would be an issue, though check first.

The upgrade to an AMD 3950X is definitely worthwhile despite these old parts connecting issues as the system is so solid and everything flies as expected!

Hope this all helps!?

Jouleskeys thanks for being helpful.
Yes the Startech PCIe adapter has been waiting on my Amazon list for a few months.

The guy you mentioned that cut up the case, and then found out the card didn’t work, was it on Intel or AMD?
This is tricky because some guys swear by AMD, and some guys say they will never again do an AMD build.
I have always been an Intel CPU/ Asus motherboard guy since the 90s, and this would be my first AMD build.

I was really hoping st33I could tell me if he got his Aorus Master working with his UAD.

Also, I cannot get a decent i9 10900K in Canada at this time (July 2020), however I can easily get an Ryzen 3950X on Amazon,
as well as an Aorus Master.

Did you build this from Scan expert? As they are suggesting me to Build with 10900X instead to be future proof with Drivers of AI and Motherboard for Ryzen platform dosent seem to work 100% for everybody out of the box without tweaking…So they Suggested to Go for Intel to be rest Assured…whats ur view… Also got the same suggestion from an expert for Audio Production Purrrfect Audio

In the year 2030 people will still say that AMD CPUs aren’t working “100% for everybody out of the box without tweaking” (etc), even if nobody is reporting any problems, and at that time people with Intel CPUs will still sometimes report problems (i.e. it doesn’t actually work “100% for everybody out of the box without tweaking” for Intel people either).

Same as it ever was.

Agreed there!

Flying here with the Asrock X570 Extreme MB and not needing to tweak anything in order to make the FireWire card work on this machine. An attempt on using Asus in a previous attempt was an issue with this. Never an issue with AMD however…

Has anyone been using the thunderbolt card that’s available for the asrock MB? Does it work with UA satellites or interfaces?

With the thunderbolt option, I’m wondering if one of the sonnet thunderbolt expansion chassis would be an option for people trying to run older UA quad core (or duo) cards like me. They are approved by UA for other windows based thunderbolt motherboards. A 3 card sonnet chassis is pretty affordable.

thats nice…but suggest me for 3950x what ram speed with latency did you opt for?as i heard 3950x works great with 2 sticks of 3600 mhz ram…can there be any performance drop if i opt for 4sticks instead of 2 sticks?

I indeed went with the 2x 3600 sticks. No idea about the 4. Best send a message over to Scan computers audio department about this as they’ve since been testing everything in this department.
Keep us updated.

Can anyone recommend a fanless GPU to use with a X570 mb and 3950x? I don’t need much, one 4k output and one 1080 output. I only use Cubase on this computer.

No input on that, sorry.

If you haven’t made your purchases yet though just know that the newest generation of Ryzen was announced yesterday and will be out in November.

My 580 has fans but they never kick in as Cubase doesn’t tax the GUI .

M

Yeah, I think for the most part you just need to avoid bad cards with loud fans. My card, a Radeon VII, was known at release for being very noisy. But that’s when people used it either for rendering work or for gaming. For Nuendo it’s fine. So I agree that you can probably find a good review where they talk about noise and pick a card possibly with a fan and not worry about it.

I think GamersNexus do reviews and include noise levels at different loads.

I used a company called Computer World and they built me a perfect beast and it is completely silent.

Computer Cases:
Black ATX Silent - Ultra Quiet (Sound Proofing Included) - Built In Card Reader

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12 x 3.8 GHZ - Turbo 12 x 4.6 GHZ)

CPU Cooling:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 X - Low Noise

Motherboard:
Asus PRIME A320M-K (AMD B320) - 4xUSB3/2xUSB2 - (M-ATX)

Memory:
Corsair 64GB Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz (2x32GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4)

Graphics Card #1:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 1 GB - (Silent Cooling) - VGA/DVI/HDMI - HD - Supports 2 Monitors

Storage Drive #1:
1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

Storage Drive #2:
240GB SSD SATA-III, Read 560MB/s, Write 510MB/s - Silent

DVD/Blu-Ray Drive #1:
8x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - USB - (External)

Sound Card:
Motherboard Integrated HD Sound

Wireless Networking:
Wireless 150Mbps (External USB Adapter)

Wired Networking:
Motherboard Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

Power Supply:
Corsair 450W PSU - Low Noise

Power Cable:
1.8 Metre UK Mains Power Cable

Windows Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64 BIT (Installed & Updated)

Build & Test Service:
9 Working Days - Built, Tested, Installed & Ready To Go

Warranty Service:
2 Years Collect & Return Warranty

This machine boots up in 7 seconds
I’ve just loaded Cubase artist 10
And using a Tascam 4x4 but when i import previously recorded wav files or mp3 the bass is totally distorted on playback so baring that it’s perfect. Computer planet will help you with any queries on silent fans etc and they very good on prices.