Amd ryzen threadripper 7970x compatibility

Hello Friends, I just want and need to know if there is any problem setting up a DAW based on Amd Ryzen Threadripper 7970x, 32 cores, 64 threads, with Cubase 13 Pro. This topic has been consulted with Steinberg support but to my surprise and Without knowing why, they no longer answer me, I want to think that it is due to some type of communication error. However, after the experience with Intel I have seen this wonderful processor that is not for servers as many people think, although it does implement their capabilities and, well I just need to know what you think??, before installing it, logically I am looking for everything type of advice, Mr. Joaquin Garcia has not answered, AMD has answered me and they tell me that there should be no problem, but he also recommends consulting with the people we compose this wonderful world of music through computing. Please, given the aptitude you have taken here, on top of that I use your products and I want to switch to Cubase 13 pro, Steinberg Support… I urge whoever reads this to give me a hand, also because it is a very expensive processor or of the expensive ones and, I want to do things well. It would run under Windows 11 Pro 64X. Thank you in advance for everything. Greetings from Spain-Vizcaya.

I would wait until there are reviews out using at least the DAWbench test benchmark. Threadrippers have sometimes not had the performance people wish they had and some were even very problematic (a few years ago). The last I heard was that the test that uses plugins exclusively, meaning things like multiband compressors etc., showed insanely good performance on the 7960X. However, the VI test which uses virtual instruments (Kontakt player I believe) played back fewer voices than the tester was hoping for. Now, it’s still (to me) an insane amount of voices, but it’s not really worth it by itself compared to the top-of-the-line consumer line CPUs.

So if you’re doing purely mixing with plugins then it might be worth it, and maybe also with a mixed workflow. But purely compositional and virtual instruments maybe not.

Either way I would say wait and see.

PS: The scaling of CPU core/thread usage seems to be much smoother in other DAWs, so this seems to still be a problem for Steinberg to solve.

I have not seen any updates for C13. But even if works fine there it is likely that cubase will not utilize all cores. I think C12 was limited to 14 cores.

The limit was logical cores if memory servers me right. And it was changed earlier.

Here’s an image from a preliminary test using DAWbench (7960X):

Cubase is to the left. As you can see the first 16 threads are used 100% and then for each core only one thread is maxed out and the other is at anywhere from 20 to 60%, from what I can tell. The same CPU with the same test in a different DAW is on the right, with all logical cores using 100%.

This topic may be of interest. Also note the link posted by Fabio.

Tipos de traducción

Traducción de texto

Texto original

Hola Amigos. En primer lugar, agradeceros de todo corazón vuestras inestimables respuesta que arrojan claridad ha este tema parece, ser que algo " Espinoso ". Entiendo por vuestras respuestas y las demos del DAWbench, que parece ser que ahra mismo y tal y como esta programado Cubase 13 Pro, puede ser hasta contraproducente el tener una CPU de muchos nucleos y suprocesadores lógicos. Parece ser que existen limitaciones tanto por parte de Windows y lo peor por partedel propio Cubase

3.541 / 5.000

Resultados de traducción

Resultado de traducción

Hello friends. First of all, I would like to thank you with all my heart for your invaluable responses to MattiasNYC, Cmlib and Cubace and to everyone in general. Cubace, has left me perplexed with his comment about the limitation of Cubase to 14 Cores, this in the 21st century and at the height that This Musical Computing is simply inconceivable, Steinberg, I have known him since his birth, almost and he has always seemed the best to me, I see that for whatever reasons, they have to polish and improve their best creations. Your answers shed clarity on this topic, It seems to be something “Tricky” since Steinberg still doesn’t respond to me and I think they won’t, I don’t know why, but they don’t and that’s not how you treat a Client. I understand from your answers and the DAWbench demos, that they are made with the Threadripper 7960X, not with the 32-Core 7970x, which is the one I have in mind, that it seems that right now and as it is programmed Cubase 13 Pro, it can even be counterproductive to have a CPU with many cores and logical subprocessors. It seems that there are limitations both on the part of Windows (I already knew that) and the worst on the part of Cubase itself, which inevitably raises another question, what is the ideal CPU to work with cubae 13 pro?, because I have already seen What happened to Fabio and fortunately he was able to solve it, logically I don’t know what CPU Fabio has. I recently had a computer based on I9 14900K, clearly the Technicians told me that I was going to have too much (I didn’t think so), the DAWbench that I do is always with a very difficult library, it is the Pharlight, because it is a library that makes the CPUs “fine”, uses a lot of voices, effects like Replika that consume a lot of CPU, and if the processor can handle it, it’s fine for me, if the processor is put with a monophony and 70 or 80 voices at 40 %, it doesn’t work for me and with the 14900k the same thing happened to me, with Kontakt obviously in this case it only recognized 16 Cores instead of the 32 or at least 24 of the Intel 14900K processor, I even tried the free version of Kontakt 7 Because I have 6.8.0 and I like movies and I don’t really like certain things about Kontakt 7 and, it recognized the same Cores, 16. And no one answers, only you, which is already a lot, you are good people, really. I certainly don’t know what to do after seeing your demos and answers, the truth is that in the World of MAC these types of cases are also happening. I also have an I9 9900 yes letter and exactly the same thing happens to me, the CPU oscillates a lot, well or rather the performance meter of Kontakt and the Cubase 11 AI Le, I wanted to upgrade to the Cubase 13 pro, but one of them gets lost I wonder if this is going to lead to more problems. I also have an I5 4600, it is many years old and do you know something? It can handle everything, with its 4 cores it is impressive, but it is already many years old and one day it will break down and they no longer exist. spare parts for it… anyway, I’ll still take the AMd, the Thradripper 7970x, which is now one of the best there is and, if the Cubase gives me problems with the number of threads, then we will use its tool or the configuration of the midi port in Studio or whatever is needed, but let it be known that I am not clear about it, I know that in the not too distant future, the full potential of this type of processors will be exploited, by Steinberg, Presonus, cakewalk, etc., but not for now. A shame . Friends, if there is anything I can do for you, do not hesitate to contact me. I thank you very much for your interest and responses, from the bottom of my heart. Greetings from Vizcaya-Spain.

Hello friends. First of all, I would like to thank you with all my heart for your invaluable responses to MattiasNYC, Cmlib and Cubace and to everyone in general. Cubace, has left me perplexed with his comment about the limitation of Cubase to 14 Cores, this in the 21st century and at the height that This Musical Computing is simply inconceivable, Steinberg, I have known him since his birth, almost and he has always seemed the best to me, I see that for whatever reasons, they have to polish and improve their best creations. Your answers shed clarity on this topic, It seems to be something “Tricky” since Steinberg still doesn’t respond to me and I think they won’t, I don’t know why, but they don’t and that’s not how you treat a Client. I understand from your answers and the DAWbench demos, that they are made with the Threadripper 7960X, not with the 32-Core 7970x, which is the one I have in mind, that it seems that right now and as it is programmed Cubase 13 Pro, it can even be counterproductive to have a CPU with many cores and logical subprocessors. It seems that there are limitations both on the part of Windows (I already knew that) and the worst on the part of Cubase itself, which inevitably raises another question, what is the ideal CPU to work with cubae 13 pro?, because I have already seen What happened to Fabio and fortunately he was able to solve it, logically I don’t know what CPU Fabio has. I recently had a computer based on I9 14900K, clearly the Technicians told me that I was going to have too much (I didn’t think so), the DAWbench that I do is always with a very difficult library, it is the Pharlight, because it is a library that makes the CPUs “fine”, uses a lot of voices, effects like Replika that consume a lot of CPU, and if the processor can handle it, it’s fine for me, if the processor is put with a monophony and 70 or 80 voices at 40 %, it doesn’t work for me and with the 14900k the same thing happened to me, with Kontakt obviously in this case it only recognized 16 Cores instead of the 32 or at least 24 of the Intel 14900K processor, I even tried the free version of Kontakt 7 Because I have 6.8.0 and I like movies and I don’t really like certain things about Kontakt 7 and, it recognized the same Cores, 16. And no one answers, only you, which is already a lot, you are good people, really. I certainly don’t know what to do after seeing your demos and answers, the truth is that in the World of MAC these types of cases are also happening. I also have an I9 9900 yes letter and exactly the same thing happens to me, the CPU oscillates a lot, well or rather the performance meter of Kontakt and the Cubase 11 AI Le, I wanted to upgrade to the Cubase 13 pro, but one of them gets lost I wonder if this is going to lead to more problems. I also have an I5 4600, it is many years old and do you know something? It can handle everything, with its 4 cores it is impressive, but it is already many years old and one day it will break down and they no longer exist. spare parts for it… anyway, I’ll still take the AMd, the Thradripper 7970x, which is now one of the best there is and, if the Cubase gives me problems with the number of threads, then we will use its tool or the configuration of the midi port in Studio or whatever is needed, but let it be known that I am not clear about it, I know that in the not too distant future, the full potential of this type of processors will be exploited, by Steinberg, Presonus, cakewalk, etc., but not for now. A shame . Friends, if there is anything I can do for you, do not hesitate to contact me. I thank you very much for your interest and responses, from the bottom of my heart. Greetings from Vizcaya-Spain.

Recibirás notificaciones porque estás vigilando este tema.