Ample Guitar L sample project + XM

Hi all, I just finished my Ample Guitar expression map project and didn’t want to keep it from you guys… :sunglasses:

A few popover pointers:
Force Positions are “5.”, but display as “V.”.
Force Strings is “s3”, but display as encircled numbers.
“Let ring” is “lr”, “Palm mute” is “pm”, force open string is “0”.
Harmonics do work, a slide is a Jazz “doit smooth” on the first note (!) and needs to be adjusted in Engrave mode, a short slide-in is a scoop.

I had to fiddle with the legato length and the switch trigger point to get the hammer-on and pull-off right.
Also, there’s no dedicated tapping technique in the library, and I’m not sure if the “T” in Dorico is forwarded as a Playback technique anyway…

If you can improve it, please do.
The second flow is a demo, enjoy… :wink:

Have a great day,
Benji
Ample Test.dorico (815.4 KB)

3 Likes

Just realized I needed to also provide the exported Playback Template, right?

B.
Ample Guitar.zip (13.1 KB)

For those of us who don’t have the library, it would be great to hear an MP3 of the demo flow, if you don’t mind creating one?

Sorry, my bad… :smiling_face:

Here is Flow1:

And the Demo:

Have fun!
Benji

Just as a follow-up:

Could someone who does use the library confirm that this works as (I) advertised (it)?
I was assuming that all that needed to be done was to import the Playback Template?
Because that would contain all the necessary playing/playback techniques, along with the xMap?
I just tried on my laptop, and the harmonics do not seem to work… :thinking:

B.

1 Like

Yes, you should find that any playing techniques and indeed playback techniques that are defined in the expression maps used are also included when you export the endpoint configuration, and are therefore included in the playback template.

Thx Daniel,

I’ll check again!

Grtz,
B.

Hi @YourMusic.Pro - I just purchase Ample AGL and am testing out your Playback Template. Looks great! For some reason the force strings weren’t connected to the playback keyswitches, I had to reassign that.

I’ll test everything out over the next while and let you know! If I make additions to your playback template I will post. I’m going to try adding vibrato changes?

Alex

Thanks, I’m glad it’s of use to you, this was my first attempt at making an XMap… Do the playing techniques make sense to you? And it’s entirely possible you had to rewire some switches, glad it works now!
Please post version 2.0, looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Benji

My notation goals might be different too - plus I’m also wanting to create two guitar parts, one for the live player and one that will be a less realistic, more abstract duet partner on playback. So I’m likely to add some playing techniques that trick the VST into doing unrealistic things.

As for the live player, I think I’ll revise slides so that the graphic does not trigger the slide, and instead have a hidden playing technique over top. Less to fix in engraving mode!

In any case this is my next or next next project rather than current, so I might not post my new version for a while. I’m in the testing stage…

Great VST this is. I almost bought the Efimov instead, but Ample AGL sounds more real out of the box, with less tweaking.

Many thanks for taking the time for setting up and posting the AMPLES Guitar expression map and template.

It’s very useful for my needs.

I do have one issue – maybe it’s how I am using it for Dorico importing? :

1. I use playback template to import the supplied ample template

2. I choose the imported template for playback and the expression map is loaded.

3. If I choose, for example “let ring” (via lr popover) I can place let ring in the score and playback seems fine.

4. HOWEVER, Even though I can delimit the extent of the let ring, after initial setup up, I get no dashed line (short) with terminal as per the example file.

My workaround is in Engraving select any notated let ring, double click to get the Edit Playing Techniques window, in the “continuation” tab select another line and set and then reselect desired dashed line and hey presto the line with terminal is displayed correctly!

Am I doing anything wrong.

I have tried to reserve the expression map and playing technique to a new file and import these, but these do not work either.

Best

David

This looks like a small bug with the playback template import - creating the “let ring” line is not setting up the continuation line correctly. Apologies for this, which we’ll have to take a look at. You can work around it by toggling the “Line style” property for the “let ring” line on and off again, or you can save the playing technique as a default.

I hate to keep bumping this thread, but after I upgraded to 3.7.0, dynamics (note velocity alone) ceased to function correctly. I have my own expression map for Ample so I decided to test the one above and it exhibits the same behavior.

Has anyone who uses the above playback template noticed the same thing?

PS In order to get dynamics working, I had to add CC7 as secondary dynamic but before I go and add it to all the techniques, I thought I’d see if it was just me – perhaps some setting I missed.