"An essential compononent for Dorico playback has not been found"

Just downloaded Dorico 4. It asks me to download “Dorico Pro 4 Sounds Installer” but I don’t see that exact file in Steinberg Download Assistant. What do I need to download exactly and where do I get it?
(I already have the sounds downloaded for 3.5.)

1 Like

Sorry that the name in that message doesn’t match exactly what the names are in Steinberg Download Assistant.

If you already have Dorico 3.5 on the same computer, then there should be nothing to install, content-wise.

Did you definitely install the HALion Sonic SE 3.5 update that is provided in SDA? That’s this one:

It says (recommended) but actually I think this is essential – I’ll talk to the SDA team about removing (recommended).

I hadn’t, thinking I must’ve had it from Dorico 3.5. Now up and running!

Not sure I’m imagining it, but for certain things it feels like there’s been a performance boost in M1 Macs. Maybe not going through Rosetta is making a noticeable difference?

Though I realize NotePerformer does not support Apple Silicon :confused: Any info on if they’re planing an update with native M1 support?

I have the same error message when starting Dorico 4.
I don’t want to install HALion Sonic, since I won’t use it and it will just take up room on my drive.
Why is it “essential”?

It’s “essential” because most people consider playback essential :slight_smile:

But you can indeed ignore that warning if you want, and (I think) tell Dorico not to bother you with it again.

ok, so I DID install it… but I’m still getting the error message!

(I’m also guessing “essential” to using HALion? and not other libraries)

If I MUST install HALion, is there a way of installing it elsewhere than my C: drive?

Steinberg Library Manager is the tool to use to move libraries to other drives.

can I do the initial install onto another drive?
my C: drive is a small SSD, and barely has enough room on it, until can get a new one.
all my sample libraries are on a partition of a 2nd hard drive in my computer.

Sorry - I can’t remember!

:slight_smile: ok, thanks nonetheless.
I waited months to finally update my computer to Win10, I think I can wait a few weeks to get a new slightly larger SSD.

I don’t think you can specify another installation location at install time, but once the sounds are installed, it is indeed the work of moments to move them using Steinberg Library Manager. The HALion plug-in itself has to be installed on your root drive, but it doesn’t take up a lot of space.

1 Like

Is it a safe assumption that the Dorico 4 iteration of HALion SE would replace/update the Dorico 3.5 version and therefore not add materially to the space that element takes on the boot drive?

Yes, that’s right.

Installing HALion Sonic SE 3.5.10 fixed it for me.