Analyzing Your Counterpoint [3-Part, 5th Species] - Using Dorico

Hello Lounge,

I have made a species counterpoint analysis video with Dorico Pro, to help counterpoint students check through the elements in their exercises and compositions.

See: Analyzing Your Counterpoint: 3-Part, 5th Species [w/ Olympus Elements]
Know Your Counterpoint // 3-Part, 5th Species [Analysis] - YouTube

After analyzing, I include playthroughs of each line, and eventually the whole piece - to take mental note of the analysis points aurally in general. You can apply these analysis elements in 2, 3, or 4 parts, and virtually across the species (although, for example, you won’t analyze dissonances in 1st species).

This analysis assumes you understand, or are getting to know some of the counterpoint terminology - there are resources linked in the video description to help, where the PDF from the analysis is also available.

Sections of the video include: Working with C Clefs, Character of Melody, Leaps and Compensation, [Play-through] - Single Line Melodies, Dissonances (Including suspensions), Cadence, and [Play-through] - All voices

Please share it with those studying species counterpoint who may find this useful, and let me know of questions, and/or have feedback. Cheers!

I include playthroughs of each line, and eventually the whole piece - to take mental note of the analysis points aurally.

You can apply these analysis elements in 2, 3, or 4 parts, and virtually across the species (although, for example, you won’t analyze dissonances in 1st species).

There are resources linked in the video description, where the PDF from the analysis is also available.

Sections of the video include:

Working with C Clefs

Character of Melody

Leaps and Compensation

[Play-through] - Single Line Melodies

Dissonances (Including suspensions)

Cadence

[Play-through] - All voices

Please share it with those studying species counterpoint who may find this useful, and let me know of questions, and/or have feedback. Cheers!

1 Like

Frank, thank you for sharing this. My music theory understanding is too little to make full use of the information but I think you video is well done and provides quite a bit of details.

Thank you Hko - If you have interest in counterpoint study, your understanding will grow as you continue!!

The place to start would be by learning consonances and dissonances (assuming you have your intervals down). Perhaps I will do more videos in that direction.

Cheers!