Annual Request: Copying/Inserting Sections Should Be Intelligent And WAAAY Simpler

I’m afraid its not surprising you don’t understand it - you did after all start a poll asking which was most important - blue or yellow… :laughing:

Huh? Both FRs are prominent in the thread and at certain points were competing for bumps, both are often asked for… It could have been a poll between ‘track picture search’ and ‘drag and drop from pool trash straight to project’ if both were as popular requests as ‘Multitrack free warp’ and ‘multi-track freeze’ which they aren’t… derrrrr… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

All the comments about the Arranger Track limitations - so true; just as @Musicmould has described - it often ends up requiring lots of tedious effort (in a flattened ‘arrangement’) to get a musically sensible result.

Maybe its all just too esoterical a task for software to help decide for us:slight_smile:

However, I liked one of the suggestions above (from @lovegames.?) was a ‘smart’ lasso type tool, to mark out additional (small) regions to either side of the main core section (L+R Locators) being copied. Without having to first cut/splice/split/chop/move/create duplicate tracks; move snap point/change grid quantise, etc…

I think there are 2-4 completely different feature requests in this thread and people are talking about different things

-There was the ability to copy and paste/insert entire sections of the project top to bottom

This can actually be accomplished with ‘Global Copy’ and if you want to insert in the middle of already existing material, you can actually use ‘Paste Time’.

To me, what would be a sensible feature request is a combo paste command would be useful: Paste Time Relative to Cursor so that lead ins are in their correct place

-There was an intelligent lasso or magic wand tool, that somehow knows what the user wants to select

This could potentially be interesting, but I’m not sure as a solution to anything mentioned in this thread as I suspect people will spend more time being finicky with a lasso tool than they would if just used standard manual editing tools… But this could be tested.

-more refined/intelligent arranger protocol

This needs more explanation, because it would be I think impossible for the program to discern the intent of the user. Thus arranger is a simple protocol to do quick rough arrangements that can be flattened and then edited to work. If you want this to be more seamless, then you should make more seamless music, and or, create extra sections that are seamless transitions you can include in the arrangement if needed, for example, I’ll sometimes have a bunch of individual isolated bars or half bars off to the side of the project that aren’t part of the body of the track that I can cue into the arrangement if needed.

To me, all of these should be separate threads - at least, I’m not seeing how they are relatable, but correct me if I’m wrong.

For goodness sake lovegames - what are you doing???
Why are you spending so much time creating these gifs that are totally unrelated to what we are discussing? We know all this stuff - its day one at music school basic editing.
Why is it taking up so much of your time when it makes zero difference to your life?
Steinberg doesn’t listen to any of us on this board yet alone you - move on and get some work done.

Chill dude, you’re sounding butt hurt now or something, probably because you didn’t know about these features and so you’re projecting now. This takes no time for me. Why am I doing it? Why is anyone here? If what you say is true, then why are you here? Contrary to what you’ve said, I’ve actually had my ideas included in the previous 3 releases as well as multiple in upcoming release, I’ve been in direct communication with staff and devs, so I know a thing or two about having ideas included in updates - being clear instead of abstract, using GIFs, making mockups in Photoshop or even basic graphics in MS paint - definitely helps and increases your chances and here I am probably increasing the chances of the FRs in this particular thread (or hopefully decreasing chances if they are indeed bad ideas).

Secondly, not everyone does know about these functions or how they can be used in succession, not sure how it is completely unrelated from:

For reasons that escape me, there has never been a one-button affair for copying an entire section of music and then inserting it somewhere else.

Eg. Let’s say you have a typical ABC song. You want to create a new ‘A’. This should be as simple as copying a paragraph in a word processor. But it’s not. And the reason it’s not is because the Range tool is too complicated AND because it’s a dumb tool.

So take a few steps back and contemplate yourself before you hurt yourself brah

‘back to work’

Now that sure is some mighty fine superiority complex you got there…

The truth is indeed mightily superior

Are you a professional troll or are you just working part time?

:mrgreen:

Do you have something against trolls? Not all trolls are created equal, there’s bad trolls, and there’s good trolls.