Annual Request: Event Align Functions

I have NEVER understood why this is not in Cubase.

There NEEDS to be a way to align MIDI notes in Key Editor, events, parts… ESPECIALLY right alignment. It needs to either:
a) MOVE the object or
b) stretch the length to the rightmost point.

Just one use case:

Yer doing an orchestral tutti. You -need- to be make the cutoffs tight. If it’s 5 brass parts, you can either (tediously) stretch the notes and eyeball their lengths so they end at the same point OR (if you have a right align function) click ‘Align’ and La Viola! They all magically end at exactly the same point. Problem solved. Nice tight cutoff.

Get it?

Another?

You have MIDI drum parts across 10 drum tracks. Some are typical 4 bars. Some are a bit shorter. You want to make them all align along bar lines. You either (tediously) stretch the parts to be exactly 4 bars. OR (if you have a right align function) click ‘Align’ and La Viola! They all magically stretch to 4 bars so you can use the Repeat function and create yer tracks all in one go without worrying that some parts are 1 or 2 ticks off the beat.

With all it’s power, why oh why this isn’t in Cubase I’ll never understand.

1 Like

Easy way to achieve the same: Use the arrow tool to select the notes, pull the end of one of them to make all together a little longer, use the knife tool to make them end at the same point, holding down the command key to make sure your knife line will be perfectly vertical. If you put the knife tool to some easily remembered shortcut, this technique should work nicely in your workflow.

1 Like

No, it’s not the same. Your ‘flow’ requires several extra keystrokes. And I typically need to do this many, many times in an arrangement which adds up to -hundreds- of extra keystrokes en toto.

Plus… that ‘knife’ is completely useless for… well… for everything. Literally never use it.

YMMV

1 Like

Get it?

Yep. I’m with you on this.

Plus… that ‘knife’ is completely useless for… well… for everything.

Well…not quite everything. Click Me, please.
It’s a fairly painless 30 second video demonstrating why I find the tool useful. But that’s just me.

1 Like

OK… I stand corrected. But to me a ‘tool’ has to -earn- it’s place on the real estate. I can think of a LOT of other functions (like align) that I would -much- prefer to have as a ‘tool’… simply because I would use them about 1000xs more often than the knife.

Thanks for the the video.

—JC

Plus… that ‘knife’ is completely useless for… well… for everything.

Well…not quite everything. Click Me, please.
It’s a fairly painless 30 second video demonstrating why I find the tool useful. But that’s just me.[/quote]

1 Like