Another Cubase Newbie, "ugh":Four questions for the forum

Hi everyone,

So glad to be here. I just dumped Pro Tools 12.5.2 and purchased Cubase 8.5 Professional. While it’s not right to dump on Pro Tools, I spent more time troubleshooting glitches and then recording. Cubase has been a very intuitive experience so far. It also handles quite well with my computer and some intense VSTIs. I’m actually loving it to be honest with you. So, I have a few questions that I was hoping one or several of you can help me answer.

1. Although, I am well into tracking a project right now, I noticed in my mix control that there are no volume increments on the side of each fader. You do have the channel volume and the meter peak level at the bottom, but I was hoping that I might be able to “customize” the mix control so that I can see numeric values to the right of each fader. I have tried playing around with the program, as well as selecting the various mix control options from devices, but I’m not sure if Steinberg purposely change the interface layout of the mix control in 8.5 professional. If anyone has any insight into this, that would be greatly appreciated.

2.The next issue I am having has to do with plug-ins. I had recently bridged some very nice virtual amplifier heads to work in the 64-bit version of Cubase. The issue I’m having is that I don’t know how to get Cubase to STOP recognizing those plug-ins. Let me explain. Initially, I used the plug-in manager to set a path to the folder where the desired plug-ins were. After making some decisions I decided to delete the folder from the plug-in manager, and I moved the plug-in folder itself to a different location on my PC. However, Cubase continues to show these amplifier head plug-ins in the insert section of a track. So, my question is this… is there a way to delete these plug-ins from the entire list of VST plug-ins that Cubase shows in the insert section of a track? Basically my hope is to open up the insert section of a track and have those plug-ins be absent rather than listed. I just don’t know how to go about this because I’m new to this DAW. Furthermore, I’m not even sure if there’s anything I can do about it.

1. I’m guessing the only way to fade a MIDI track is by using volume automation, is that correct?

2. My final inquiry has to do with instruments/midi files. Simple question, where are they stored when you save a project? I check my D drive that holds my project folder, and inside there are no files ( keep in mind that I am not recording actual audio files yet. VSTIs first for this project). So, are these midi files or instrumental track files being saved to a specific location,

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi and welcome,

1. You can see the Value below the fader only.

2. Keep Plug-in Manager to Rescan all folders, please.

3. You can use MIDI CC11 (or 7) Expression/Volume.

4. MIDI is stored inside the project, no external MIDI file. Cubase handle much more then just a common “MIDI data”, like Note Expression for example.

Just to clarify, about your point #1
Do you mean displaying the current value (as per Martin’s reply), or do you just mean the display legend alongside the fader, in which case, it becomes visible if you increase the width of the channel strips.