Any classical resources?

I was thinking I would like to copy the piano part of Brahms clarinet sonata into Dorico so I could create my own accompaniment to play with. Then I wondered if there was an existing library of classical works in Dorico format that I could shop? Would save me a lot of time if someone has already done it!

Your best bet would seem to be to search for XML files of the sonata. Some clean-up may be required once you import the XML into Dorico (check the Dorico XML import settings first to set the import defaults to what best serves your needs), but since you plan to adapt the music, such clean-up can likely occur as you go.

@JackJackdaw
I also use xml from the musescore library but sometimes for piano xml is not great… your example with Brahms is good the op.120 Nr 2
Original:
Snag_1b590d8
One import xml

another:

Sometimes a lot of work to do. I’m remenbering that Dan Kreider have s website for dorico files

1 Like

I did, but I shuttered it. Too much work and cost to maintain. I think there is still a need for it!

4 Likes

Thanks , I didn’t know about exporting xml from musecore.

You could also look at a number of programs that produce MusicXML files from pdf/scans.

Personally I use PhotoScore (though it’s showing its age)

1 Like

Thanks, I have had a look around for music scanning apps. I had a look at photoscore, you said it’s showing it’s age, is that the current version you are using? Any other recommendations?

It seems like scanning is something that Dorico should be able to do. Is it a likely addition at some point?

There are several other “OMR” (optical music recognition) apps, which have spent many years working full-time on their algorithms. And the results are still ‘variable’, and require some human intervention.

I dare say that the wonders of AI will improve things over the next decade, if someone devotes enough time and money to the problem.

All of which is a lengthy way of saying that the team are unlikely to develop their own OMR function for Dorico.

2 Likes

Playscore2 does a remarkable job. If all else fails, at least you have one consolation: entering the notes yourself is the best way to get to know a piece really well :innocent:

6 Likes

Playscore2 …photoscore… ok to tell name but without examples very hard to have an opinion and it depend a lot about musci style as the thread began with a Brahms clarinet sonata …I will send to a friend a scan to test with photoscore but here is a scan in a format playscore but don’t have the paid version so can’t convert it in xml so if @Juerg_Loeffler have time? to do the translation to have example could be great
here the file “brahms.playscore” in zip
brahms.zip (3.3 MB)

Here’s the Playscore2 XML File of the above Brahms page
Brahms Sonate op. 120 Nr. 2.xml (74.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing

Photoscore has not been updated for a number of years (2019/20?). I use the latest version - mostly for constructing scores from old sets of parts.

As with any program you have to develop your own workflow (some things are easier to correct in Dorico, so I don’t expect perfection from PhotoScore). Over time I have learnt which features to use (for my pdfs) and how best to fix the things it gets wrong (even to the extent of deleting whole bars of notes because I know it would be quicker to re-enter them from scratch in Dorico!)

Here’s the 1st movement of your Brahms (I’ve not asked it to read text, dynamics or articulations. I’ve corrected misread accidentals/notes/durations. I’ve not corrected misread slurs)
Brahms_Sonata_Op120_2.zip (45.2 KB)

2 Likes

Anyone mentioned Soundslice yet? Great website and resource for music recognition and generating musicxml.

We are using capella scan, so far we find it is one of the better programs available, manufactured by a small but dynamic company in Germany. It’s not perfect, but it’s certainly worth considering. There is an evaluation version for 30 days. And they do answer to support questions. App is available in English and German, for both Windows and Mac.
We use it for concert scores, although the older the score is (like scans on IMSLP of 70 years or more old conductor scores), the more difficult the OMR has it (which is is a general limitation with all OMR-software that we tried). It works quite well on scores that are available in vectorized pdf-format generated by Finale, Sibelius etc. Be prepared for some learning time to get the app optimized for a given class of scores, but it’s worth it.