any easy way to recover settings after trashed prefs?

Cubase has been crashing a lot lately and it wasn’t like that before :frowning: I’m gonna trash the prefs because that solved the problems twice in the past. My question is: is there any way to trash the prefs but recover all your setting easily? I always did it manually, but I’ve got all my default colors saved and all so it’s gonna be a pain :frowning:

just move your preferences to the desktop , let Cubase rebuild ,reload your own files one by one

^^Yep.

And next time, do this first instead, to make sure prefs are the issue.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1

To see what each section does.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1

What do you mean by reload your own files one by one? you mean by moving them in the folder one by one?
It’s kind of tricky because cubase is crashing randomly every hour or so … so that could take a while :S

What do you mean by reload your own files one by one? you mean by moving them in the folder one by one?
It’s kind of tricky because cubase is crashing randomly every hour or so … so that could take a while :S

What he means is because the Prefernces Folder is filled with a lot of stuff that may not be corrupted, a systematic repopulation with the originals, back into the newly generated folder, may eventually point out the corrupted element. The advantage is you don’t have to reset a bunch of things you’ve done already that were fine to start with.

But…it is time consuming because of the replace-launch-check time wasted.

Here’s another option: Before you trash (or move) your Prefs folder, open up Preferences and take a Screenshot of each preference pane and any other menus that have store-able presets and save them somewhere. I’ve found this to be an actual timesaver in the long run. Particularly after a version update when the preference parameters can be added, changed or removed by the programmers.

Kool idea W
tanx
{‘-’}

thx guys! trashing the prefs didn’t work this time … I desinstalled Cubase, ran a registry cleaner, reinstalled it and it fixed my problem :S