Any good extra tutorials for someone coming from advanced Reaper use?

Hi there,
circumstances have made it so that i have to compose and produce music Cubase for the coming period of time. I’ve been a Reaper power-user on every type of musical project since 2008 so I am familiar with the basics of DAW obviously. I love Reaper (let’s say I learned to see its quirks as a feature) but understand that I can’t bring my workflow over to Cubase and I realize frustrating months could be ahead.

I was wondering if anyone has any nice experiences with helpful tutorials / guides, apart from the steinberg quick-start guide which seems fine, that accommodates specifically to advanced other -DAW-users.
It would have to speak to users that know all the functionality and jargon of music production, but getting dropped into Cubase environment. Ideally in a comprehensive chapter-like way. Is this an unrealistic thing to wish for? Doesn’t need to be free.
I know most is unveiled by messing around and jumping in the water, but I’m pretty serious about approaching this the right and correct way so I’m not going to be running into walls trying to clone my familiar workflow into a new program, which will no doubt lead to screaming in a pillow.

Thanks, charlotte

Have you checked the Steinberg Utube channel? What I would be doing is focussing on a specific - like the key editor for example, or what you think is blurry to you, and then enter searches into this, in Utube. There are plenty of power users out there delivering detailed content, Dom Sigalas would be one.
I don’t think the full courses would satisfy you. Then of course there is this forum for questions.

At some point we all have to read the manual, but perhaps not in one go. The Help Function in Cubase can direct you to Operation Manual specifics. Unusual questions post here

I’m a big fan of the videos at Groove 3. They have a bunch of courses on Cubase that are well done. Each course is broken into a bunch of smaller videos which are descriptively labeled making it fairly straightforward to find the specific content you want. The most cost effective way to use them is to get an all access pass for a month or two and binge watch. Personally I’ve maintained a yearly pass for at least 5 years.

In general don’t shy away from videos for older versions of Cubase. Almost everything in a Cubase 8 video will still be the same in Cubase 12 (but not the other way of course). Also you’ll likely find some Cubase jargon differs from other DAWs. This is because Cubase is ancient and named some stuff before a consensus grew up on what to call things.

The manual is really good as a reference manual and pretty bad for ‘how do I do XYZ’ questions. Also the index could/should have a bunch more entries. This is where not having the right jargon can make finding stuff difficult. The Acrobat search function is pretty useful with the manual. I find the on-line version unusable, but others don’t.

And I’d second all of @ZeroZero suggestions.

good luck

1 Like

Also for an advanced daw user, this might be good for quick lookup of specific things

2 Likes

Very well appreciated, thanks guys! I’ve already dug in.
This is helping getting an understanding of the philosophy of how things are done in CB, before I’m going to make it my own by customizing it to keycommands and operations I’m used to.

Previous attempts at ‘getting’ cubase were too much based on immediately cloning my workflow before really knowing how things are set out to work out of the box.

Surprisingly I’m getting pretty excited about Cubase actually. Once I’ve adjusted my muscle memory (and getting over the mousewheel differences and “can’t click on clips to move cursor” hoops, which are huge for me) I think CB and i will click just fine. Cheers!

For this, try a combination of modifiers. I think Alt Shift Click does it. Not at Cubase right now.

Yeah, i found out about alt+shift-click. Better than nothing I guess, but to me it’s similarly ‘cumbersome’ as clicking the top ruler to move the cursor. Of course we’re talking 0.5s here so in time it’s ridiculously minor, but still…

1 Like