Any information when, approximately, we could expect Cubase 12.5 to be released?

I have Sphere. To me it doesn’t have near the amount of high quality content as for tutorials like Steinberg has. With Steinberg you get Club Cubase where Greg answers questions about Cubase/Wavelab, and others. That’s about three hours. Plus Steinberg provide higher quality stock plugins, and instruments.

They are thinking ahead. If you go to Yamaha’s website they have internships for projects that have to do with Spatial Audio, and AI stuff. Steinberg/Yamaha share technologies from what I read.

As a former b-tester and developer, to my mind, a huge trade-off must’ve been made around the time C45-C5. The reliability of .0 releases improved by an order of magnitude. But you can’t innovate -and- keep to a strict schedule.

Over the long haul I appreciate the strategy. However, I acknowledge that it came at a significant price.

Well someone blurted out yesterday that they are testing 12.0.60 at the moment and i saw that his beta licence runs out in 2 months , please bare in mind it took Steinberg 3 months to sort out the issue with the midi not aligning up so don’t hold your breath

1 Like

Well I’m not alone in my DEEP longing for a better VST expression system. Constantly moving closer and closer to Studio One for this one feature! With all the big synchron libraries from VSL it’s SO time consuming to get this in place in Cubase.

3 Likes

Hello @Musicmind and @crabcakecrates,

@Musicmind,
Definitely you are not alone in your longing for better VST Expression System in Cubase.
The current Expression System is probably one of the most powerful out there, but unfortunately the most terribly designed I’ve ever used. That’s the main reason I’m trying to avoid it as much as possible. For example the team behind Dorico took different approach in the integration of this system, which made it one of the best in my opinion.
Unfortunately the design of the current VST Expression System isn’t linked properly with the Score Editor in Cubase. If you are using Expression Maps sets you could easily end-up with terribly looking scoresheet in the Score Editor, with symbols and text objects that doesn’t have real musical meaning and can’t be easily transferred to a notation software via MusicXML (which is the better method). Fortunately Dorico is here and I don’t need Cubase, that much, as composing tool where I can use virtual instruments. I need it only audio recording, editing, mixing and mastering.
Sill I hope that there will be an unification of the VST Expression System with the one in Dorico, plus the Score Editor. No doubt that Cubase needs more modern and better organized Score Editor, which is properly linked to the Expression Maps.
Actually the A.R.A - like integration of Dorico inside Cubase will make our life very easy, and of course a market game changer. :slight_smile:

@crabcakecrates,
Well, I’m not against the subscription method, but just as an alternative for those who prefer it.
Personally I prefer the perpetual licenses and this one of the many things that keeps as Steinberg customer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The one who hated to spoil it for everyone?
Exactly what does any beta license that’s running out, shown on a YouTube video, actually prove?

Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can get a huge amount of expression maps already made for Cubase. It’s called Art Conductor by Babylon Waves. They also make them for Studio One and other daws.

Buy Steinberg Cubase Expression Maps - Art Conductor - Articulation Switching for all major sample libraries and DAWs!

1 Like

Hi @nogills,
I suppose most of us, including @Musicmind, are aware of the Art Conductor Expression Maps Bundle.
The main problem with VST Expression System in Cubase isn’t Expression Maps sets related, but design. The Art Conductor sets are completely useless if you would like to use the Score Editor, for example. They are designed as they are going to be used in a separate articulation tracks Long, Shorts, Dynamics… and most of the articulations aren’t mapped to a real musical symbols…
Here Dorico is superior over Cubase because it follows strictly the real music conventions single player per staff / track - whole available articulations, and they are mapped to a real musical symbols and text objects. This is what should happen in Cubase, too. :slight_smile:

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Any place I can get Cubase logic editor presets?

Ahh I see, thanks for explaining. I actually don’t use Cubase, but rather Studio One, for music - so I’m not familiar at all with how expression mapping works in Cubase. I’m just here because I use Nuendo for audio post and a lot of relevant info can be found on Cubase threads :wink:

I could give you a hundred LE presets, but I’m pretty confident while I find them useful, you could easily find them worthless. The reason is the way different users work, and their particular challenges to overcome a particular task, to hopefully streamline it.

LE presets as well as PLE presets, are pretty user dependent. I don’t think you will find any comprehensive web link to find them in mass.

If you have a task that you want streamlined, I think it’s better to just ask here and maybe someone will give the macro or LE/PLE, or at the very least say that task can’t be achieved.

Most users sort of learn both by looking at the included LE/PLE presets that come with Cubase, then…understanding how they work, adjust to their objectives as needed.

1 Like

Yes I know Art Conductor, I have been using it for some instruments like all the Spitfire stuff. But AC doesn’t work well with VSL, which is the main part of my libraries. The new string libraries - Elite Strings ex. - has more than 200 articulations, which makes it impossible to manage if you only line them up. VSL have created maps for some of their libraries and they work far better. The system is still quite impossible to work with, and I have been there!! Believe me! XML editors - Excel sheets with macros, copying articulation names to endless rows of text! Lemure - Composer Tools, Metagrid …
In Studio One you load the instrument and bang the correct articulations and the structure is automatically transferred to your DAW. And if you change something in the instrument, the changes will be reflected in your DAW!
To me it’s unbelievable that Steinberg - the number 1 in the industry - still allows this to go on.
This is the first page of 3 for VSL Synchron Elite Strings 1. Violins!!

The system was designed for instruments with far less articulations and was a break through years ago and one of the reasons I switched from Logic, but it needs not only an overhaul, it needs a new concept! And it can be done! Look at Studio One - and hurry up! :wink:

4 Likes

What does it prove ? That there’s a Beta waiting to be released but doesn’t end until ?

It is for cubase 12 not cubase 13 or cubase 12.5.

Totally correct ,going back to my fist post that means C12 is not done with yet , more to come before C12.5

And here i thought there were no more .5 versions…

Maybe there isn’t , who knows

Possibly certain residents of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg - who work for a company called Steinberg?

Steinberg ? Never heard of them are they new ? :upside_down_face: :rofl: