Any new OFFICIAL updates on the drivers for MacOS 11 Big Sur and the M1 chips?

Unfortunately, the first UR22 did not have the class compliant mode available. In your case, an official driver is needed to work.

@bushdoctor , at the moment, there is no official compatible release available for Big Sur. No matter whether it is an Intel based system or Apple Silicon.

My UR44 wants to go out of cc mode asap!! Please, I love my M1 Mac mini but I miss my direct monitoring…

I see. Please keep us updated about the development of drivers for the new Apple Silicone macs.

Cool, I’m out. Focusrite here I come.

I am sorry for the delay, but there’s finally updated information for both Intel-based and M1-based systems in the already existing compatibility article.

A new driver will be released in March that will offer M1 support and we will also continue to test the TOOLS packages to improve the compatibility and eventually release new TOOLS versions as well.

There are some known limitations with the current drivers/TOOLS which we describe in this additional article.

1 Like

Thank You!
Looking forward to a good working UR44 on my M1 machine

Just to be clear: There won’t be any Apple M1 drivers for the regular Steinberg UR22 in the future, meaning it will never be compatible with M1 Macs so I can basically throw it away?

No, there will be UR22 support according to what Ed said.

Indeed. And this is how it is listed in the compatibility chart.

oh okay because the list only contains the UR22 C, I thought that would exclude the original UR22. But that’s good news then!

I’m new to the forum, but am very frustrated. I stupidly got bought a new M1 Mac for Christmas, and then expected it to work with my stuff. I suppose what I didn’t expect is that it would take so many months to write a USB driver. When Apple released the code for the M1 months before the release, as Apple do not want to be blamed by its users for equipment that does not run on its devices I would have thought that hardware companies would have thought ‘we have hundreds of thousands of folk in the world with our products, lets make sure they work’
I assume I am very niave in expecting my interface to work, but it is now march and still no USB driver. again not being a software writer I do not understand how the I & O’s cannot be transferred from the Analogue to Digital chip in the UR 22 interface and shot down my USB cable into my Mac.

2 Likes

I mean if you need the functionality, either buy a new interface or try enabling class compliant mode if your particular model allows it. The M1 is a great chip, and like every new ecosystem, it takes awhile for everyone to get on board.

2 Likes

Thanks for your really helpful comment ‘go buy another interface’ you have used this a few times. A lot of us already have an interface and after months of waiting for a simple driver that enables the digital signal from the a to d converter in the interface to travel along a cable into my Mac, and then take the I & O’s and record them into my software. It is not rewriting the software for a space vessel, submarine or nuclear power station. We have been patient as Apple like windows release the OS months before the update to allow companies to get ready for the update.

1 Like

I gave you a helpful comment, you must have missed it.

None of us know what Steinberg’s Driver development team looks like. It could be one person, it could be a new guy who’s having to learn stuff. It could be a team of people that are trying to do a number of things at once.

Upgrading to a new ecosystem - especially in a production environment - is always a bad idea until more support has been in place for a longer period of time. It’s just facts.

Is the same true for the UR 44?

Yes, it is the same.

Indeed, never switch platforms on the release day (or shortly after). Software and hardware can be very complex and this won’t be any easier to achieve with a new OS AND a new hardware platform at the same time. This does not apply to Steinberg only. Many manufactures need to iron out issues long after the new system has been released. This has always been the case.
On a more positive note, I am confident that the driver will be ready next week if nothing unexpected pops up in the final tests.

3 Likes

Thanks, Ed. Fingers crossed.

It’s out!!! Rosetta 2 needed to function still, but looks like they’re still testing the M1 native driver.

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/yamaha-steinberg-usb-driver-version-3-0-5-for-macos-released/706670

Something is better than nothing!