Any new OFFICIAL updates on the drivers for MacOS 11 Big Sur and the M1 chips?

Haven’t seen an official update in over a month. The driver is still being worked on at least, right? Just trying to debate if I need to jump ship to Focusrite or something that already supports the M1’s and Big Sur.

1 Like

They are not often very good at keeping us updated while they are working, suddely there are just updates…

Keep your eyes on this page: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360017403100-macOS-Big-Sur-and-Apple-Silicon-product-compatibility
They actually updated the hardware compability list today. Not thart tere are any changes as far as i can see, but the date is today.

Ah, that’s helpful. At least it’s in the testing phase. Hopefully it will be out soon.

Of course, we work on updates to support Apple Silicon (and Big Sur). However, there are still a few things to iron out and this is why I cannot provide an estimation on a release date yet, unfortunately.
I expect more information to be available in the coming weeks.

6 Likes

Thank you Ed, hopefully you all will be able to iron out the issues quickly! Looking forward to being able to use my interface on my new Mac. I appreciate the hard work!

1 Like

@Steinberg_Archived it’s jut incredible how bad you are in customer and user support. I wish I’d never invested my money in one of your devices. What is that so hard for you guys to “iron out”, that other companies have already solved?! It is NOT acceptable that you need so much time to at least release a beta version and to don’t want to help your paying customers!!! DO SOMETHING!!!

No need for blasting them. Be patient, or go buy another interface that works. That simple.

If you upgraded your computer or OS without knowing there was an available update for your interface, that’s on you. Especially if it’s affecting a professional workflow that makes you money. Shoulda known better.

2 Likes

As a workaround until the drivers are ready, you can use most of our audio interfaces in class compliant mode on the Apple Silicon systems. Yes, you’ll lose functionality but at least you have something to work with.

1 Like

Can someone please confirm the Big Sur compatibility issues are with the silicon systems only, not Intel? My UR22 mkII has stopped working with Mojave, which I was stuck on because it didn’t work with Catalina. Will it work with Big Sur if I upgrade or is that a problem too?

What is class compliant mode and how do I enable it? I am using the UR22 on a Mac Mini M1

1 Like

Unfortunately, the first UR22 did not have the class compliant mode available. In your case, an official driver is needed to work.

@bushdoctor , at the moment, there is no official compatible release available for Big Sur. No matter whether it is an Intel based system or Apple Silicon.

My UR44 wants to go out of cc mode asap!! Please, I love my M1 Mac mini but I miss my direct monitoring…

I see. Please keep us updated about the development of drivers for the new Apple Silicone macs.

Cool, I’m out. Focusrite here I come.

I am sorry for the delay, but there’s finally updated information for both Intel-based and M1-based systems in the already existing compatibility article.

A new driver will be released in March that will offer M1 support and we will also continue to test the TOOLS packages to improve the compatibility and eventually release new TOOLS versions as well.

There are some known limitations with the current drivers/TOOLS which we describe in this additional article.

1 Like

Thank You!
Looking forward to a good working UR44 on my M1 machine

Just to be clear: There won’t be any Apple M1 drivers for the regular Steinberg UR22 in the future, meaning it will never be compatible with M1 Macs so I can basically throw it away?

No, there will be UR22 support according to what Ed said.

Indeed. And this is how it is listed in the compatibility chart.