Any new OFFICIAL updates on the drivers for MacOS 11 Big Sur and the M1 chips?

oh okay because the list only contains the UR22 C, I thought that would exclude the original UR22. But that’s good news then!

I’m new to the forum, but am very frustrated. I stupidly got bought a new M1 Mac for Christmas, and then expected it to work with my stuff. I suppose what I didn’t expect is that it would take so many months to write a USB driver. When Apple released the code for the M1 months before the release, as Apple do not want to be blamed by its users for equipment that does not run on its devices I would have thought that hardware companies would have thought ‘we have hundreds of thousands of folk in the world with our products, lets make sure they work’
I assume I am very niave in expecting my interface to work, but it is now march and still no USB driver. again not being a software writer I do not understand how the I & O’s cannot be transferred from the Analogue to Digital chip in the UR 22 interface and shot down my USB cable into my Mac.

2 Likes

I mean if you need the functionality, either buy a new interface or try enabling class compliant mode if your particular model allows it. The M1 is a great chip, and like every new ecosystem, it takes awhile for everyone to get on board.

2 Likes

Thanks for your really helpful comment ‘go buy another interface’ you have used this a few times. A lot of us already have an interface and after months of waiting for a simple driver that enables the digital signal from the a to d converter in the interface to travel along a cable into my Mac, and then take the I & O’s and record them into my software. It is not rewriting the software for a space vessel, submarine or nuclear power station. We have been patient as Apple like windows release the OS months before the update to allow companies to get ready for the update.

1 Like

I gave you a helpful comment, you must have missed it.

None of us know what Steinberg’s Driver development team looks like. It could be one person, it could be a new guy who’s having to learn stuff. It could be a team of people that are trying to do a number of things at once.

Upgrading to a new ecosystem - especially in a production environment - is always a bad idea until more support has been in place for a longer period of time. It’s just facts.

Is the same true for the UR 44?

Yes, it is the same.

Indeed, never switch platforms on the release day (or shortly after). Software and hardware can be very complex and this won’t be any easier to achieve with a new OS AND a new hardware platform at the same time. This does not apply to Steinberg only. Many manufactures need to iron out issues long after the new system has been released. This has always been the case.
On a more positive note, I am confident that the driver will be ready next week if nothing unexpected pops up in the final tests.

3 Likes

Thanks, Ed. Fingers crossed.

It’s out!!! Rosetta 2 needed to function still, but looks like they’re still testing the M1 native driver.

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/yamaha-steinberg-usb-driver-version-3-0-5-for-macos-released/706670

Something is better than nothing!

Please, update FW driver too!! Please!!

Great! Thank you so much! I actually didn’t have to use Rosetta, I just installed it, restarted my mac, connected the device and that’s it!

FW like FireWire? I think the FireWire is totally out from macos 11 (any FireWire device). It’s not working even with Intel mac. :frowning:

I’m speaking with a translator.
I installed the driver on the m1 McMini and found a dropout symptom.
How about you guys?

No, Firewire steinberg and yamaha audio card (and all the others!) can be connected to new macs via thunderbolt, with the fw/thunderbolt adaptor by apple.
The problen is that yamaha-steinberg fw driver works till to macOs 10.14 Mojave, because they (and their control panel) are in 32bit. From macOs 10.15 Catalina (therefore Catalina and Big Sur), it’s impossible to run 32bit apps/drivers on mac, only 64bit is admitted. So, if Yamaha-Steinberg won’t update Fw drivers, who has an “old” audio card (I buyed my new yamaha n12 in 2016, in a shop, new not used or out of stock) can’t use it on new macs with new macOs, but new products (Cubase 11 for example) wants new macOs. This is totally crazy. And they say they don’t want update.

I had 2.0.5 installed yet I still had to first change the security to reduced. To me the instructions make it sound like you don’t need that step if you have a version installed. That was not the case for me.

Hello,
Just got my new Apple M1 machine to replace an 11yrs old iMac. I have been using the UR22mkII and its been just great.
Now the new M1 finds the UR22 just fine and the USB light doesn’t blink but is solid as it should. I even get a sound out of my Yamaha monitors through the UR22 BUT its distorted and the signal is very weak and has major lag in it.

After I downloaded the new USBDriver I tried to lower the security level on M1 and allowed the Kernel extensions from Yamaha corporation as advised on Steinberg support pages but it almost broke the whole system!

MacBook started to reboot and crash and reboot and crash for maybe 20min before it made a “panic reboot” and fixed the problem automatically and restricted all extensions.

So after some terrible moments I still do not get decent sound out through the UR device.

What might be the issue and does this appear with anyone else?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Jerzy,
Could you provide a screenshot of the Audio MIDI setup showing the sidebar with the available devices? We had reports of the driver not being recognized correctly and the system made a fallback to the class compliant mode. Even though there is no CC mode for the first UR22, I would like to see how the unit is listed in there.

You would think Steinberg/Yamaha would put out a new control panel and driver for the MR816 on M1. I love the interface and my new macbook air. I just with I could use them together. I have been a support of Steinberg for a long time and would love some support.

My UR22 sound card light is blinking after Big sur 11.6 update. Not working. Please help :frowning: