Any way to build a Dynamic EQ?

I am trying to figure out if there is any way to create a “dynamic EQ” in CB6. I know I can edit the EQ Gain values manually in the automation track but I was wondering if there is a way to control it more accurately with a plugin (some kind of level-detector sidechain).

More generally, are “automation tracks” strictly manually-edited data or can they be controlled dynamically by some other input, plugin, etc.?

Why?

It is generally polite to leave a little work for the program user to do to keep him alive and creative. :mrgreen:

You can’t route MIDI to Automation directly… (Midi-Track-Out>LoopBackMidiPort>GenericRemote…)

http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&os[]=win32&os[]=win64&ty[]=e&f1[]=vst&f1[]=vst3&tg[]=59

then use a Plugin that makes the wanted MIDI, and send it to a GenericController (via LoobBackMidiPort) and set the Parameter wich should be controlled by the plugin…

But maybe a MultiBand compressor also du the job?
or the Venegance - Multiband Sidechain would be a solution?

Price: 99.00 € | 85.00 £ | 140.00 $

I’m not quite sure I understand but if I remember correctly FabFilter has some plugins like Volcano and others that can detect envelopes to control filters internally.

I had asked for an envelope detector in the past in order to read amplitude values of one track and “invert” the values of another. I never got an answer but I know I can do this with MSP and stuff.

Re: Any way to build a Dynamic EQ?

Is that different from a multiband compressor?

I thought they were one in the same, but correct me :mrgreen:

Yes, but they can sometimes do similar jobs.

A multiband compressor uses crossovers to split the audio into two or more bands. Even though the crossover points may be adjustable the response shape of the crossover filters usually is not - and they typically have a relatively shallow (6-24dB/octave) slope. For that reason it is not always possible to use an MBC to control a resonant bass note, for example, without also pulling down some of the sound around it. In other words, an MBC works over somewhat broad ranges (Bass, Mids, Highs, etc.) but still offers more control than a mono band compressor.

A Dynamic EQ, on the other hand, usually has parametric filters where the frequency, slope/“Q”, and gain are all independently adjustable - just like a typical Parametric EQ - but the gain can be controlled with a sidechain level detector. It’s an MBC taken to the next level. You can “zero in” on exact frequencies and bandwidths and compress/limit/expand as required. When used properly it is VERY transparent.

A plugin such as “Studio EQ” can be automated to give a “dynamic EQ” response but it can take a lot of automation curve tweaking to get it right.

There are dynamic EQ plugins available as third-party VSTs but the good ones are expensive. It seems like CB6 has enough routing capabilities that there should be a way to “make one” using what we already have - and just the way we want it. I will keep working at it and post if I find a means.

Free one here. http://www.platinumears.com/plugins.html

What do you call expensive? And eq is generally one of the bits where the engineers ears are artistically crucial. Machines don’t really cut it. Bit like those “artistic” oil painting gubbins you see in Photoshop etc.

While a multiband compression only allows signal-level dependent automatic level adjustment across each band, the other two parametric EQ parameters that could also be ‘messed’ with are Q and frequency.

And not just for direct operation on a signal, but for a dynamically filtered feed into another processor, like reverb or sidechain input to vocal processor et al.

I’m using that one but it has some significant technical issues.

“Expensive” to me is $100+. The “good ones” are from Hofa, 112db, etc.

Agree but be careful not to confuse Dynamic EQ with “EQ matching”. Completely different tools.

I know that it is now discontinued, but the Dynamic EQ for Powercore is very feature rich and sounds awesome.

Could you elaborate? Which issues?

The most obvious issue is that the GUI display and controls lock up. I wrote to the author about this and he said he knows about the issue but doesn’t have time to fix it. Apparently it works fine in some other DAWs.

A not-so-obvious issue is that when used in compressor mode the gain reduction hits a ceiling depending on the setting of the threshold and ratio controls. Once a certain amount of gain reduction is reached it stops compressing even though the input level is still rising. So something is not quite right in the level detector processing.

I found the first issue can be “worked around” by closing then re-opening the plugin display which usually reactivates the GUI. The second issue requires dropping the signal level going into the plugin and then applying makeup gain with the output control.

Finally - and this is just a “nice to have” - a graphical display of the EQ action is very helpful on a plug like this. Yes, it’s the SOUND that matters but a graphical display helps to dial it in.

How about a “Y” tap into a bandpass filter, then through a gate for setting threshhold, then flip its polarity and sum it back into the original signal.

So, when a high enough level of the chosen frequency makes it past the gate, it will cancel itself out of the original signal.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought I’d give it a try, but with such issues it won’t work for me.

Yes! I am using this technique on a mastering project to tame an obnoxious HiHat. I “send” the track out to a dedicated group buss with a bandpass filter and gate on it; flip its polarity, and mix it back in. Works GREAT!

One thing to be careful with this approach is to make sure there is no phase shift or time delay in the filter (use a linear phase). “Bug Pass” works great for this and has a SUPER sharp cutoff.

Also, instead of using a “gate” you can use a downward expander for a smoother, more compressor-like result.

BTW - it appears I just answered my OP. LOL :unamused:

Well - I did not try it myself so far, but I have seen some references to some Melda plugins…

This one: MAutoDynamicEq | MeldaProduction

I have no idea if this is by any means something usable (so please don’t shoot me if I am totally wrong here), but it is not extremely expensive…

Thank you all,
very nice thread! :open_mouth:

The Surfer EQ is a very good Tool.
It detects the ground note of an audio signal and tracks the eq with this tone.