Any way to make GUI larger in macOS?

I just got Cubase 12 Pro thanks to the competitive crossgrade pricing from Logic Pro X.

The Cubase GUI is very high contrast, but in a lot of sections the text is a bit small for me. I’m using a Samsung 32" 4K monitor but in 5K HiDPI mode, so it would be 2560x1440.

I searched for this and it seems that in Windows Cubase follows the DPI setting in the OS and scales accordingly, but in macOS there’s no setting like that, no more than the resolution setting. I could do that as a workaround, setting it to 4K HiDPI is 1920x1080, which makes everything else quite large.

So I just wanted to confirm there’s no setting in the macOS version of Cubase to adjust the GUI text size.

I know its not the answer your looking for but i use the zoom in and out key commands with Full Screen as the zoom style in accessibility in MacOS. Its great, it zooms to where the mouse cursor is, excellent for getting detailed on a plugin too.

Once its set up you can use option+command+= to zoom in and option+command± to zoom out.

I use that, but I have it set to CTRL+wheel up or down, much easier. Still, that zooming in and out all the time would drive me crazy. I set the resolution to 2304x1296 to work in Cubase, which still makes the text a bit small for me, but not as bad.

Problem is the rest of the system is rather big. I wish Cubase had a GUI text size option.

1 Like

I think that is my only other option, to change the resolution. My eyes are only getting worse with age lol so text size inside Cubase would be excellent.

Someone else may have a better solution though.

What is 5K HiDPI mode?

Basically I call that what is in practice 2560x1440, which would be half the resolution of a 5K monitor, like the older 27" Intel iMacs. 4K HiDPI would be 1920x1080.

Meaning, you are seeing a 5K or 4K resolution, but all the elements in the GUI are scaled up because unless you’re young and with perfect eyesight, even on 32" 4K monitor, text is too small to see.

Oh, so you have your own lexicon for all that.

For this and lots of other things. :smiley:

What do you call it?

Like this - 5k approx. 5120 × 2880

and 4k approx. 3840 x 2160

Well, it’s not approx, those are the numbers. But if it’s a computer monitor connected to a computer, Mac or PC, at those numbers everything is way too small, therefore the HiDPI thing that allows you to “pretend” you’re working at 2560x1440 because 5120x2880 would be too small for most people.

Or even having a large 3810x2160 monitor but still using it as 2560x1440 because 1920x1080 would make everything too large.