Any way to reduce the amount of monitoring delay?

I’m right now using my amp’s XLR line out to go directly into my preamp, and then from there I’m going via SPDIF into my soundcard. To hear it in Cubase I need to turn on Monitoring on a track. When I do so, I get about a 1/2 second delay between my playing and it sounding within Cubase. Is there a way to reduce the delay in Cubase? Thanks.

Reducing the buffersize of your interface’s ASIO-driver is the only way for as far as I know…

IF you are using a PC, are you using an audio interface with an ASIO driver?

You will not get low latency without one.

I’m using a PCI Auzentech soundcard that does have an ASIO driver. The buffer is set to 50 ms right now. If I change it for direct monitoring, should I reset it after I’m done monitoring?

I also found an option in my soundcard control panel for “bit-matched” recording and playback. I think turning them both on reduced the amount of delay a little.

You should set it as low as possible.
Meaning: if the sounds starts to break up and crackle, it’s too low.

If this doesn’t work well enough, you could try ASIO4ALL and if that doesn’t help, you should consider buying a decent interface.

Yes, Pixie is right, you should be able to get the latency below 10 ms fairly easily with decent HW. However, do you really need to monitor through Cubase? Do you use some VST effect in Cubase during monitoring? If not, then monitoring through Cubase is useless and direct monitoring is certainly better for you. Direct monitoring should provide you with lower (actually, almost non-existing) latency.

Miloslav

I don’t think direct monitoring is an option with a consumer soundcard…

Cool, it’s all good at 4 ms. I was getting the slightest bit of breaking every so often at 2 ms, and there’s no 3 ms option so I’ve set it to 4. My other PC uses a Firestudio Project for amp micing, though I thought I’d give the line out of this amp a try while on this PC and see how it sounds.

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, Pixie is right, you should be able to get the latency below 10 ms fairly easily with decent HW. However, do you really need to monitor through Cubase? Do you use some VST effect in Cubase during monitoring? If not, then monitoring through Cubase is useless and direct monitoring is certainly better for you. Direct monitoring should provide you with lower (actually, almost non-existing) latency.

To hear my amp’s line out I need to enable monitoring on the track. I don’t hear anything in Cubase without doing so.

Sometimes yes, for instance, my onboard sound chip (Realtek ALC889 on Gigabyte H55-UD3H) has this feature… :wink:

Miloslav

Okay, but then you are monitoring through Cubase, which is not direct monitoring. Direct monitoring means that the monitoring signal travels from the source to the soundcard or preamplifier and then directly to the output (headphones, for instance). Therefore, it doesn’t have to go to Cubase and back.

And since you aren’t using any VST effect in Cubase, direct monitoring would be better for you. But anyway, if you were able to achieve 4 ms with monitoring through Cubase then it is viable and simpler, of course :sunglasses:

Miloslav

Ah, thanks for the clarification! And I was wondering if I could hear my playing with Cubase running without needing to turn monitoring on, but I guess not?

It depends on whether your soundcard supports the direct monitoring feature. Basically, it’s the ability to send the incoming signal directly to the output. Then, the monitored signal can be mixed with the signal coming from Cubase. This way, you could hear your playing together with the playback from Cubase. In this case, monitoring in Cubase should be switched off. But, as I wrote, the direct monitoring may not be supported by your soundcard.

Miloslav